Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Secondary Schools

Has anyone ever participated in Career Nights at either a High School or Middle School? Have you been able to recruit a good amount of leads from here?(Was it worth it?)

HI Janet

Attending Career Nights depends on so many factors. First - is your market high school students? Or are your best students mature adults? Or something in between? The best option is to plan a high school campaign and measure measure measure results. Some marketeers would say that marketing to high and middle school is like planting seeds. It will take longer to harvest but if done right you'll get a good crop. Suggest you put a team together to put plans in a place and evaluation methods. Then you can determine for yourselves if high school campaigns are effective for your school now or should be revisted in future.
Best wishes
Susan

This section reminded me of my own high school years. We had a club approved by the high school called Future Nurses of America. We were awarded class time to meet in these clubs, and we listened to speaders from various health care agencies. The individuals coming to do presentations were most likely using secondary schools to plant seeds about joining the ranks of health care. Using myself for an evaluation, I would say that it worked.

Planting seeds is a great concept for most things when you think of it. People rarely act the first time they hear something, read an email, or see an adv. So the more they are in touch with an idea, solution, information - the more likely they are to eventually act. That's why in marketing the goal is to get the message out in as many ways as possible. And early on to reach the prospect. Thanks. Susan

It's totally worth it, but can be frustrating. I always find it interesting that the juniors were more concerned about their future than the seniors. We had a lot of the students' parents take our courses too and even some of the school staff.

A lot of people will be interested but won't want to show their interest in front of their peers. Giving those people a flyer where they can contact you later works.

anthony,

This is really a great assessment of dealing with the high school market. It seems that you really have to pick an admissions rep who has a feeling for the high school market and can work effectively with students, parents, and guidance counselors. We heard a presentation about how alumni are the most believable source of information that guidance counselors and parents want to talk with. A reason to organize an Alumni Community! We also think the senior citizen market is a great one and usually overlooked. Many seniors have to work. Others want to train for a career they always wanted to get involved in but were never able to. Something to consider. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment