Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

newsletters

We recently started an email database. Can you believe we weren't asking for email address until this year?!? We called all of our old leads to get as many email addresses as possible and have been collecting several this year. We send out a monthly newsletter with program info, labour market info and sucess stories. There are also links back to our website where people can send in an inquirey. I think that we will come up with more event to promote and put more effort into making sure that the press always knows what's going on at our school.

Hi Susan
You made 2 great points. One is that email marketing is the most cost effective and least expensive. Staying in contact with leads on a regular basis usually gets great results. Keep your email messages short and interesting. People will look forward to reading them if there is value. Of course phoning is the way to get people into the school after you have gotten their interest. You can send email press releases to local media too. It just requires locating the emails of writers and calendar editors. Then get them accustomed to hearing from you.
Best wishes
Susan

I developed a small email database last year only to promote one open house. We also did a press release to the local news paper. The turnout was great. I found that the majority of our attendees came from the email invitation. I believe they were more qualified targets.

Hi Jon
You have just discovered a secret to effective target marketing. Aim for your target and use your website and emailings to stay in touch. Some school marketeers believe that over 50% of leads can come from an effective website and consistent emailing. It also takes admissions reps trained in Internet marketing. That means you can enroll more qualified leads and at a lower cost per lead.
Best wishes
Susan

Several months ago we started a job newsletter which we email to
all our graduates who are in job search. The newsletter contains
current truck driving job leads, both local and national. It also contains information on job search techniques including websites where our graduates can find job openings. Many of our students come to us from labor department agencies such as Workforce Investment Boards and we started sending the newsletter to the counselors. The reception has been extremely positive and I feel we have strengthened our image as a school which takes job placement very seriously - great public relations with these agencies. And, possibly, more future referrals of clients to our school for training.
From taking this course I am thinking we should also start sending the newsletter to current student leads to impress them as well. Hopefully, we may help convert more of those leads into enrollments.

VINCENT,
This is a great start. You might want to keep your newsletters to one page with job listings and key points. Then invite grads back for the detailed job search skills. In person meetings give you a chance to understand what grads need and want to be successful. Often trucking companies hire trucking students prior to graduation. You might want to develop relationships with these companies so they have that mind set. It is vital that your training prepares the best drivers to warrant early hiring. We agree that students should be getting a lot of employment skills training and information too. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment