Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

OPEN HOUSE

We also held an open house and invited businesses and community members along with a local radio station. This allowed us to give tours to prospective students. We also gave away school t-shirts, and enrollment information. The radio station broadcasted from our parking lot.

Hi Barry

Sounds like you made the open house a real happening. Great. There are so many publicity opportunities with an event you describe. Lots of photos can be taken for immediate news release plus for print materials and your website. There can be interviews with business and community members that have publicity value. Then there are all the follow up opportunities for enrollment, advisory boards, placement, and more. It is surprising that many people in a community don't know a school may be right next door. This kind of an event gets the word out to people who might enroll or tell their friends and relatives.
Good job
Susan

You are absolutely right, the local radio station is a great generator of publicity. One idea I got from this course is that next time I may request on-air time in order to personally explain a class or product. I think that letting prospective students get to know our style a bit before coming in might motivate them to sign-up. If someone from your business is a great public speaker, it can familiarize/humanize your image instantly.

Hi Lily

The more the prospect knows about your school and the more comfortable, the more likely they will enroll. You might even invite them to be a student for a day. Helps to take away the fear about going to school.
Best wishes
Susan

Sounded great.How did you get the Radio Station to participate?

Hi George

It's amazing how you can get involvement from local media like radio and TV. Just keep in touch with them, tell them something interesting about your school and how it impacts on your community, and find out how they want to receive your information.
Best wishes
Susan

Our school always makes sure that every prospective student is aware of our upcoming open houses. Not only is is posted on the website but they are sent flyers (including international students) when it is a month away.

Hi Ailen
Have you thought of letting students and grads know about your open houses. They might have friends and family who want to know about your school. You might try reverse psychology. Offer a limited number of "tickets" to each student or alum.
Best wishes
Susan

I find that open houses cannot be held in more than two weeks. If it takes too long for an open house, "hot" students may become "luke warm" at best. I like to announce an open house within the next 5 days...

HI Rob
Great points. Open House functions take a lot of work. But they can be streamlined. Create a how to book so that anyone on staff can handle the administrative and publicity tasks and get an open house happening as needed. Also consider variations on open house events that might be more spontaneous. Best wishes, Susan

In my community Radio Advertising is King. So I have decided to give away 18 Free classes to the Radio pers. in the area.It works we received many calls and enrollments followed.

Interesting idea Jhonson. What classes to you give to radio personalities? How are you able to give free classes to some and not make the offer to all students. Or perhaps you are talking about single classes rather than full programs? It is a very interesting concept with a lot of publicity opportunities. So we would all love some details. Thanks, Susan

It is working fine. I offer a full class of CNA for free. But winners of these free coupons must attend the class at the date and time we choose. Also they have to pay for uniforms and books. So far the response has been great, we get far the school name is circulating in the community, more people are inquiring about our classes. We are able to ask our student for 2 referrals each for our Adm to call and try to enroll.

Very interesting. Who do you offer the free coupons to? I thought you said people in the radio media. Can you share details about how you distribute the coupons, how the winners are selected, etc. Thanks

Sign In to comment