Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

STUDENT AND EMPLOYEES DAY

lAST MONTH WE DID THE STUDENT/EMPLOYEE DAY. ADMISSIONS AND PLACEMENT WORKED TOGETHER IN THE PROJECT. WE COOKED HOT DOGS ALL DAY AND SUPPLIED CHIPS AND SODAS, INVITED THE POTENTIAL EMPLOYERS WHO BROUGHT GOODIES AND MINGLED WITH THE STUDENTS. THE STUDENTS FELT GREAT BECAUSE THE SAW THEMSELVES WORKING IN THEIR FIELD AS WELL AS A FUN DAY FOR THEM.

Hi Cari
Sounds like you put together a great student/employee day. Was it an unstructured event? That usually makes everyone comfortable. You might also consider having employers talk for a few minutes about what they are looking for in an employee, why they hire, retain, and give promotions. The employers can even hold mock interviews. Or do role playing. What kind of follow up is done? Do employers tend to hire more students after a day like this?
Thanks
Susan

Cari:

This sounds like a great idea. We will definitely have to copy you in the near future. Anytime you could get employers on-site with your students is a very good opportunity not only for networking, but also for possible placements for them. Add food in the mix and you're set!

Regards,

Nancy

Hi Nancy and Carl
We also vote for getting students together with employers as much as possible. Helps students to learn what employers want during the job interview and on the job. Helps students see that employers are people and can help take the fear out of the job seeking process. And yes, food during all events. It helps releive stress.
Best wishes, Susan

I agree student employer days or career fairs are an excellent method for having students meet potential employers, and network it's even better when students have a body of work that they can present beyond a resume (this also depends on the type of program) this approach helps placement statistics immensely.

Hi Fiona,
Student Employer Days and Career Fairs are great and in our opinion should be held on a regular basis. In that way students can anticipate and prepare for them. Keeps excitement and motivation high. You might work with employers to determine what it is they want from students. Perhaps it is just a simple resume or perhaps a comprehensive portfolio. Agreement can be made about what kind of interviews will be held, workshops presented, and what kind of coaching and mentoring will go on. Best wishes, Susan

I like this idea....it has a different twist to it sounds like a carnival day which might be fun for the students....I will talk to my staff and perhaps we can do something like this....might even be good for an open house!

Ginny,
It is interesting how a new twist can spur excitement, involvement, and enthusiasm on the part of everyone. What is important is to plan carefully and involvement everyone. Also put plans in place to measure outcomes. How did the event go and what would make it better? What were the ingredients for success so you can repeat the event or re craft it for new results. Let us know, Thanks

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment