Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Questions to Elicit Information

What are some of the most helpful questions you've asked during the probing stage of a prospect call?

Who is helping you in your college search?
What are you looking to do after college?
What schools have you visited if any?

"What is it that makes you unhappy about your current situation?"

Hi James. Great question. What? and How? questions are great to elicit more information than a simple Yes or No response. I'm curious how you know if someone is unhappy with their current situation though.

I guess the simple fact that they are interested in our school is a big indicator for me that they are atleast looking for a change from their current situation.

What are you looking to pursue? What has made you interested in that? Have you had any college experience in the past?

Great questions, Peter! Now I have another question for you...are these questions for them? or you?

"What is going on in your l ife that is making you consider going back to school?"

"What are you hoping for when you finish school?"

"Has anyone taken the time to speak with you about your career options?

These are very interesting questions Allan. What information does this provide you?

The first is an open-ended question to get the dialogue moving and tells me the motivating factor of why they had called and why they want to make changes in their life.

The 2nd is to establish goals for their future.

The 3rd is to set the appt. Most of our prospects have not taken the time to speak with a person to give them career options. It also also conveys that I want to help them and it raises the value of the appt because it is for their well being.

Why today? What has motivated you to pursue your degree at this time? Who is in support of your decision to go to college?

Interesting questions, Jessica. These certainly are questions that could help someone begin to explore their motivation to attend college. Have you ever asked a question that was taken the wrong way or not understood correctly?

How important is it for you to see yourself walk across the graduation stage?

Why are you looking to get your education now as opposed to 6 months ago?

What do you see yourself doing 2 years from now?

These seem to be questions that will provide some thought - which is a good thing. I'm curious how you know what questions to ask and when to ask them.

Hi Dr. Norris,
After I provide the potential student with a background of the college and set the tone and expectations for the interview, that's when I will ask questions as the ones I've mentioned, during the probing session. The probing session entails finding out more about their desire to move forward with their education, the impact it will have on the job or lack thereof, their career aspirations and the emotional support they're receiving.

Very nice, Nina! It's what we call "exploring the environment". In former training programs this "probing" was designed to only serve the needs of the admissions rep. Sort of finding out what is wrong (need) and then positing the school as the solution. Newer approaches add questions and discovery to help the prospective student find out what is going on in their life and what their options are. More of a counseling approach vs. sales approach. Many of the areas you mention are useful to help the student figure things out. What other questions might you add to help them discover things?

I'm a big fan of the counseling approach that you mentioned. It allows students to be more engaged with the admissions rep. I will also ask, what are you looking for a in a school? How important is getting an internship for you?

Yes, I agree that the counseling approach is essential to serving the student in the most meaningful and ethical way. Questions are so powerful and can be used in a variety of ways yet I'm hopeful most will adapt to help the student vs. manipulation.

I think the most helpful question I've asked before is: What are you looking to study? This gives me an idea if we have the program that they're interested in or something like it.

This is a great question, Rachel. It's the type of question that may get someone to really define a program or major as you examine " fit".
Depending on the situation, sometimes a more broad question like " tell me more about your interest in the medical field" could give you even more information. With this type of question, it could go in a number of directions based on importance to the student.
In those situations when a prospective student has no idea what program they want or a misunderstanding about what a program really is, the broader focused question is a good approach to start with.

Sign In to comment