Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Body Language Speaks Louder Than Words

I am so aware of my body language. I have a tendency to cross my arms when I am standing speaking with a student. And now I can see how it could be misconstrued as being guarded, closed off, uninterested. I try with each student encounter to make sure we part each other's company happy.

Deborah, That's a great approach to rapport building. I'm curious, what are some examples of positive body language that you exhibit?
Dr. Jean Norris

some positives would be leaning in and eye contact.

Valerie, Leaning in and eye contact are great ways to help you actively listen. What if the student is leaning back, away from you? How can help engage that student in the conversation?
Dr. Jean Norris

I too am aware of my body language and habits. I was in the military and we are trained to act in certain manner when communicating and I have had to break away from some of those habits in order to communicate more effectively with students. Sometimes point blank directness with an in your face approach works, but most of the time it is not needed.

Andrew, Another good point for the forum, and great awareness. Because you are so aware of your body language communication, do you find it's easier to adjust to the student's response and shift your body language?
Dr. Jean Norris

I think that body language speaks before you even know it when you are not recognize it.

Sign In to comment