Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Portia,
It sounds like you really understand how to communicate! What are some questions you ask to open the lines of communication?
Dr. Jean Norris

I believe reading body language is a skill I can certainly improve upon. For example, if I can read someone's closed-armed stance as a potential road block it will help me to address it with that person, which in turn will build more rapport.

Michael, That is a great example. Reading someone's body language is a very important part of building rapport. What are other body language signs to look out for?
Dr. Jean Norris

I always try and be as patient as possible. Some people gain trust when they don't feel that the person they are communicating with is being judgmental and impatient. I don't ever want anyone feeling like they aren't worth my time and that their questions and concerns don't matter. I want everyone I speak with to feel comfortable with me and look at me as approachable.

Patience and listening are key to building rapport, Marianne. Great points! Keeping an open and accepting atmosphere is key. What do you do if you find that atmosphere changes and rapport may have been broken?
Dr. Jean Norris

The skills that I would need to work on to build rapport is my written communication skills when sending emails or text messages to my students.

Kevin,

Interesting. So how might you go about improving in this area?

Dr. Jean Norris

I try to establish a connection with the student maintaining respect and courtesy

ALICIA, Maintaining respect and courtesy is very important for building rapport. Thank you for sharing!
Dr. Jean Norris

In nursing that what we use most built rapport to gain the client trust.

ask question phrase, rephrase, and reflect

Claudette, interesting! How do you build trust?
Dr. Jean Norris

Claudette, very good. Can you expand on how you use each?
Dr. Jean Norris

Claudette, very good. Can you expand on how you use each?
Dr. Jean Norris

I will need to be able to go down the pyramid again and reintroduce my self when thinks go bad and start over with small talk.

Asmir,
Very true! Let us know how this tool is working for you!

Dr. Jean Norris

the skills that I would use to successfully build rapport with others is listening there needs and wants by putting by self in there shoes and giving them an example of what as worked for others in there situations and also by motivating and encouraging to pursue there dreams

When I am first meeting a student we have small talk and then we talk about there wants and goals while in school and also after so that we can both become comfortable as we get ready to go into paper work and the admissions process because that can be a scary thing for some people.

Wanda, All great practices. Do you feel it would benefit to see if you have anything in common with your student?
Dr. Jean Norris

being approachable and available, making eye contact and being relatable.

Sign In to comment