Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How To Truly Listen

It is so important when meeting with a prospective student that you take the time to clear your mind, relax your body and actively listen. I have found that once I am ready for the conversation, the prospective student is more relaxed and can communicate more easily. Reading between the lines is also so important in order to get to the root of the conversation. It enables you to go places that can assist the prospective student in identifying their goals.

Deborah, Great awareness on your part! That internal "reset" button is so important to check before meeting with the next student. Thank you for sharing!
Dr. Jean Norris

This unit reminded me to stop what I am doing when a student approaches my desk. It is tempting to cotinine what I am doing while asking how can I help. The words don't mean much when my actions say I am too busy right now.

Nancy, Great insight! Sometimes we get so caught up in how busy we are, we forget to take the time to help those that approach us for help. Thank you for sharing.
Dr. Jean Norris

I agree, but I would also like to add how important eye contact is and also repeating back in conversation what the prospective student has communicated, which will give them the feeling that I am listening and responding with credibility.

Valerie, Exactly correct! Repeating what you heard is a great way to let the one you are communicating with know you heard them.
Dr. Jean Norris

I agree, in the past when trying to accomplish more, I would be typing away on the computer while a prospective was before me. This only managed to show the prospective student that I was not giving my full and undivided attention to them. It shows a lack of interest and concern for them as a person and their needs.

I agree, in the past when trying to accomplish more, I would be typing away on the computer while a prospective was before me. This only managed to show the prospective student that I was not giving my full and undivided attention to them. It shows a lack of interest and concern for them as a person and their needs.

In my situation I have a period of time in between the student getting here and my meeting with them to stop what I was doing and get prepared for my time with this person who is coming in and may have fears and concerns about school. This time I have makes me able to give all focus to the student and it has helped me alot.

Samantha, That sounds like a great practice! Thank you for sharing.
Dr. Jean Norris

I agree with you it is very important to listen to a person appropriately I mean it's a way to respect them when you stop what you are doing and pay attention

Sign In to comment