Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tongue tied

Does anyone have any ideas when it comes to tongue tied. I know what I want to say and can see/hear it in my brain but when it comes to saying it, end up stuttering, cant find the words and tongue tied.
Thank you,
Corrie

Corrie, Thank you for posting this. Can you give an example of a topic, specifically?
Elizabeth Wheeler

It happens in all my different aspects of my life. I know what I want to say and can hear it properly in my head but maybe due to nerves I can't spit it out. Lol. For example at work, I am a facilitator and when helping a student, get tongue tied. I am say trying to explain something and all the right words are in my head but I am finding many other words instead of the one I am thinking. Again I thing it may be due to nerves and not wanting to say the wrong thing. Is there any advice you can give me on this, as I want very much to be able to help my students in the best way possible.
Thank you,
Corrie

It happens to all of us, Corrie! When we get excited or nervous, it's common for words to come racing out. Perhaps the best advice is to just pause when you find yourself getting tongue tied. Take a moment to get your thoughts in order and take a deep breath to calm yourself before speaking again slowly and distinctly. Also, before you enter into a planned conversation, make sure you know the goal of the conversation and your supporting points. It's easier to say what you want to say when you have your thoughts organized. Most importantly, keep practicing! The more you speak with others, the better you will be at saying exactly what you want to say!

Dr. Jean Norris

I have found that practice really does make "as perfect as we can get". Remembering that our goal is to help these prospective students find what they are looking for and hopefully help them to build a better future helps me. Take each question or thought on an individual basis without having a game plan to "sell".

Great advice, Adam! Thank you for sharing!

Elizabeth Wheeler

I agree with Adam. It's important to understand the message you are trying to get across. I have been working for a post-secondary school for over a year now and it's the first time I've worked for a school. My confidence has grown tremendously and is noticeable in the way that I communicate with both staff and students. A lot of that has to do with knowing and understanding the message I am communicating.

Thank you very much, I am practicing to make "as perfect as I can get" too. Thank you for your time and I wish a very Happy Holiday to both of you.
Corrie

Sign In to comment