Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To Many Questions

Do you think there can be a point of asking too many or too personal of a question?

Thank you for your post John. The types and number of questions we ask have the potential to be too much or too little depending on the individual and the relationship you have developed with that person. I'm sure you have encountered students who will volunteer all kinds of information without any hesitation, while others may seem uncomfortable with a question that may not seem very personal to you. I guess the answer to your question is that it all depends on the rapport and relationship you have built with the other person and reading the body language that they send when answering your questions. What has been your experience with asking questions that may or may not be too personal?

I have to agree with Dr. Norris completely. Every person is different and will have different comfort levels in regares to sharing information. Some students might be very inviting into their lives and others might be very sheltered. It's all about letting them open up to you and if they do not then you ask them if it is ok to ask this tupe of question.

Yes and I try really hard not to go there, but some of my students seem like just need someone to listen.

I like your approach of asking permission to ask certain questions. Marisela how do you typically help your prospective students feel comfortable with you and the admissions process?

Dr. Jean Norris

That's where being flexible and open to listening to our prospective students is important. Every student is different and while some may be open and share a lot of information about themselves, others may be more reserved. Taking the time to build rapport to help the student feel more comfortable can help. Thanks for your post Darless.

Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment