Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Role of Leadership | Origin: LC101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Role of CTE in High School Improvement --> The Role of Leadership

What are the leadership actions which would facilitate closer collaboration among CTE and other teachers?

Take a few minutes to post your response and learn more from your peers.

I think that my school district does a great job of allowing the CTE teachers and academic teachers time to collaborate. We have 6 scheduled collaborations for all teachers and then monthly collaboration for just the CTE teachers. I think the curriculum (common core) tries to help the academic teachers bring in real-life experiences into their classrooms and this helps the CTE because for those students we can show them.

My schools have a long way to go in terms of collaboration with CTE and core. There is some effort being made, but there is still a lot of 'siloing' and folks working alone. We could beneift the student learning and engagement by working more together!

collaboration between content areas, incorporating the relevance for students in core classes with how information is used in real world situations, using data to make gains towards the end result of being college/career ready...horizontal leadership rather than vertical provides a sense of ownership and team building which can make for stronger programs...

The leadership actions that could foster c;oser collaboration of CTE and teacher is creating opportunities for CTE, teachers, and administrators to work together on a schoolwide project that will help promote social emotion learning and vultural awareness.

I'm intruiged by the statistic about "summer melt" and I am wondering how many of those students eventually attended a post-secondary institution. I think there is a lot of value in the "gap year" and hope to see it become more accepted, but I wonder if there is data indicating that taking a year off between high school and college can create a barrier to post-secondary attendance. 

At our school we have started by building a culture of collaboartion first. We share PD expereinces whenever it is appropriate and we get togther for shared staff parties and celebrations. Being togther helps teachers work togther. 

Permitting time for academic and CTE instructors to work on a joint student project together would be very benificial to the process.  Students would learn how to apply concepts while also experiencing authentic workplace applications.

At my middle school, we are given the freedom to horizontally plan with core teachers. Often this type of plan is extraordinarily difficult or hard to manage as alignment isn’t perfect. Still the results can be very fruitful. 

My district is a comprehensive K-12 Dsitrict. We have begun several cohorts centered around PBL and Pathways. One way leadership works to ensure collaboration between teachers of all content areas is to select teachers to be a part of these cohorts from each area. During meetings we create seating charts where CTE teachers are pair with teachers from other content areas. 

Leadership action steps: 

1. Create time in schedules to allow collaboration amongst CTE and Gen Ed teachers.
  2. Hi lite successes noted in CTE and gen Ed teachers' collaborations to all staff, the board and community.
  3. Establish expectations among administrative team to support efforts of collaboration.
  4. All PD days should include sessions on how to incorporate CTE into the Gen Ed classroom
Sign In to comment