Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing a Safety Plan | Origin: LC110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating a Safe CTE Learning Environment --> Developing a Safety Plan

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Student made safety videos are a great idea and gives the students some better perspectives of safety. Also, other students are more likely to pay attention to other students. 

Safety first is more than a catch phrase in the CTE classsroom.  We are exposing students ot potentially hazardous situations constantly in the lab environment, so we must pay very close attention to how we operate tools and equipment in the presence of students, and the need for proper orientation and checkoff procedures for working in our shops.  

It's a great idea to get many people involved in the safety plan. I think sometimes we develop a plan as instructors, but never get feedback from others or share the plan so others know what is supposed to and what is not supposed to happen in the classroom/shop.

It is extremely important to have safety rules and especially safety exams that must be passed before they are allowed in the shops. This shows to the students how serious that safety is and how to make sure that they know the rules. 

Safety is critical at all times.  Overconfidence can be just as harmful as immaturity and lack of confidence.

Safety in school CTE spaces is critical and needs to be revisted and planned for.

The two example scenarios illustrate a common experience for teachers- neither thought that an accident like that could happen in their classes. Working in a CTE classroom on a daily basis requires constant vigilance and attention to student safety, which is impossible to maintain at all times. Therefore it is essential to train students to monitor themselves AND each other so that more eyes are watching at all times. 

Having a written safety plan that everyone has access to is a must. An accident will happen. Not if...but when. One of the rules we use at our school is that every shop student has to pass OSHA 10 before they can work in the shop or at the job site. 

I am reminded of the need of a safety plan and my frustration in seeking out support from safety personnel in our district.

I have learned the importance of a conistetn and well established safety plan. I plan to have my CTE teachers meet on a professional development day to review safewty plans to ensure they are up to date. This is important as we have added new equipment in the last several years since the plans were first created. 

While each of our programs has a safety plan that includes OHSHA 10 training and set procedures, and we have a district wide safety plan, I'm not sure we have a Building Safety plan that outlines our processes of teaching safety.  I  want to develop a plan that will assist teachers in organizing the processes and assure we are following best practices and reviewing regularly.  

Sign In to comment