Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Suicide - Stop, Look and Listen | Origin: EC120

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teacher's Guide to Suicdie Prevention --> Suicide - Stop, Look and Listen

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have never heard of a Suicide Safety Plan. What a great idea.

This is a tangible tool many mental health professionals utilize to help someone in crisis when they need help, and it works.  It has the potential to be the difference between life and death, as it gives a clear picture of what help is available and what steps to take.

It is so important to be open to your students. I often try to give examples of when I have personally struggled to help humanize my students feeling. Cyberbullying is so hurtful. There is no means to an end and when a student is not able to see the light at the end of the tunnel they tend to give up; so sad. Social media is horrific to adolecents. 

We have been talking about making a suicide saftey plan here at the school, good information for making one. 

I learned about the newer digital ways to self harm.  I had a feeling that there were going to be new tech ways that would emerge due to the sheer exposure to digital media.  I have become more aware of how much more younger people know about their digital world than I do.  Each year as I get older, I feel one more step removed from understanding all the new tech that they are exposed to.  I try to keep current, but these changes happen so fast and seem to spread like wildfire among the younger folks.

It is important to have a good rapport with your student. Sometimes you are the only people they feel they can trust.

A safety plan sounds like a great project that each of my classes should fill out. I know that for me it's important to know my students. I'm going to work on that more this year. 

Being aware of student behavior, creating rapport, and actively participating when concerns become evident is critical to providing a useful service to students experiencing suicidal thoughts. Be empathic, non-judgemental, and calm in attempts to help the student.

Digital self-harm was a new idea to me, but it makes sense that students with depression would use that as a communication tool. As a teacher, and a parent, this course gives me many tools to support youngsters. 

Sign In to comment