Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Physical Notebook or Electronic? Which Format?

Discuss your decision about whether you will create a physical notebook with printed documents and page dividers or organize the information electronically, or both.

I think I am going to do both. Keep one physically for quick reference, and also one electronically for real time updates. That way I can cross reference and update the physical one when needed. Also its always nice to have a physical copy handy just incase internet/computer issues come up.

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum! I may be a bit 'old school' but I always kept a hard copy of rules and regulations on my desk. Good to know that you are going to use the information in the course.

Cindy Bryant

I have a physical notebook with all the printed documents and also use page dividers to organize each document. Since there is so much information to file I have also seperated contents for easy access. For example, I have a seperate binders for policies and procedures manuals, marketing plans and tools, and admissions requirements/information (catalog, addendum, enrollment agreement). I have found it much time effective to quicly glance at the title and pull the binder for quick access.

Jenniffer,

Welcome to the forum! It is great that you have found the notebook format a viable tool to organization.

Cindy Bryant

I personally will do both have a hard copy notebook and also have one electronically. I want to be able to manage my time well and having easy fast access is great but electronically will also keep me up to date with changes and is another way to fall back on. Always have a back up method.

Amanda,

Welcome to the forum. Many people opt to have alternative means to access information. I am a strong supporter of doing what best suits you.

Cindy Bryant

I will definitely try this method as well. I like the idea of having my information handy on my computer and at hand. I have been in situations before where the internet will go out and we are left hopeless for the time being. This way there will be no wasted time.

Priscilla,

Hi-welcome to the forum. I am happy that you will be incorporating methods from the course into your daily operations. I too have been in situations where I was not able to access critical information due to the computers being 'down'.

Cindy Bryant

I'm going to have both just in case I'm in need of a back up. Always a good idea to be on the safe side

I’ve used a physical notebook but believe it’s time to make the change to an electronic version. Ease in access and the ability to update without waste makes sense.

Clara,

Hi! I am so glad that this course assisted you in making this decision. There are many regulations that govern your institution and you would benefit by bookmarking these pages.

Cindy Bryant

I will implement this process immediately. I think that having the notebook will give me the ability to have it on hand whenever a question arises, but also electronically is a great idea.

Dorothy,

It has been proven that having information at our fingertips gives us more confidence in our ability to do our job.

Cindy Bryant

Cindy,

We must always remember that the information is as good as we keep it update, electronic version is my choice. We live in a world full of new technology, even thought from time to time a system can go off line, every day we see this happening less often than few years ago. The Physical Notebook is a good back up, again this is only as good as is kept up to date.

Jorge

Jorge,

Great advice. I too vote for the electronic version. However...sometimes you can't access the electronic version and it is good to keep a cheat sheet.

Cindy Bryant

I would keep both physical notebook and electronically. I think electronically is more convenient being that everything now a days is done electronically. The physical notebook i would keep on hand for easy access.

Leigh,

Great Idea! I mentioned in an earlier post that I like to have a back up as well.

Cindy Bryant

I agree. Having the information handy in electronic format will make it easy to find information. Having information to frequently asked questions in one central place is a best practice.

Jennifer,

Hi! Another great feature of the electronic version is that it is automatically updated on the internet and you can feel reasonably assured that the info is correct.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment