Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor Variance

It is important to have qualified instructors for the schools. The guidelines are specific as to the background, education and work experience an individual should have. What are some circumstances where you perhaps need to submit a variance to TWC for approval on a prospective instructor?

An applicant for Travel Agent instructor interviews well, has 4 strong successful years experience with American Airline Travel but does not have a degree. They moved through their job with AA very successfully and took many seminars and training classes within the AA umbrella. They have performed or worked in every area of the curriculum including SABRE.
Currently, there is not a degree specific for travel agents therefore, this along with the gathered documented information, I would submit a variance to TWC.

This sounds like a good instructor that you don't want to lose. The general rule of thumb is that an instructor variance requires an instructor meet at least half of the requirements to be approved. Simply follow the instructions found in the PS-002 to submit a variance request.

We have recently found the need for a variance for MA instructors that have not attended a 900 hour MA program. Most MA candidates have attended a program of 720 or 790 hours. If they only have 4 years experience you need a variance.

As you review instructor candidates, make sure that they meet the qualifications for approval by Career Schools. The variance process is a way to maintain good instructors even though they are not quite qualified.

"The Commission may approve a variance from the specific qualifications contained in ยง807.81 of this subchapter with sufficient justification and an assurance that the program quality will not be lessened. If there have been two substantiated complaints regarding instructors in the previous year, or if the school is unable to produce, when requested, documentation that all instructors meet the requirements of this subchapter."

Yes you will need a variance according to the PS002. I will need to include the student evaluations and signed commitment stating I will evaluate the applicant within three months.

What are some circumstances where you perhaps need to submit a variance to TWC for approval on a prospective instructor?

You could have an instructor that does not meet the guidelines. They made not have the required years or maybe educational background.

Hi Dennis,
Something that you might not know is that Career Schools and Colleges usually requires that an instructor meet at least half of the requirements before they will consider a variance.

Frank Hammack
Facilitator

Good question Dennis, if an instructor doesn't meet any of the qualifications (i.e. secondary education with 5 years of practical experience within the last 10 years then you can request a variance following the procedures listed in the PS-002.

This is true, however, at my institution, we do not attempt to consider a variance. When you dilute the qualifications it puts the institution in a difficult position if there are issues with the instructor that you recieved a variance. I would rather go with fully qualified faculty and not have to use a variance.

A variance could be needed for an instructor who graduated from a high school that is no longer operating in order to qualify under the current TWC Requirements for Instructors.

If the high school is questionable you would be safe to check with the Texas Workforce Commission, Career Schools and Colleges. If it is a public school that has closed for some reason, as long as you have a diploma or transcript that shows the graduation date then you would be ok.

Hi Frank,

A variance is useful when you have a highly credentialed (IT certifications) professional without a degree.

You are absolutely right. The variance is TWC's way of not letting a good instructor fall through the crack because of a minor technicality.

A variance request may be submitted when you have well known super star chef and who's experience is a mile long - but simply does not have a degree in the field.

Hi Tammy,
Remember that for TWC an instructor doesn't have to have a degree. Approval is based upon the level of education and years of experience in the field. The minimum is a secondary education with 5 years of experience within the last 10 years.

A request for variance should not be a common practice, but reserved for specific situations and individuals. I would explore a variance for a potential instructor who had the educational and experience requirements but was missing the teaching experience. Once I had observed their presentation and mentor skills, I would pursue a variance knowing that we could use our developmental systems to hone and develop their classroom skills.

Ken, good point but remember that TWC's requirements for approval of an instructor is based upon education and experience and not teaching experience.

A statement from the school that the instructor has demostrated knowledge and skill to teach the course.Also the school assure that the program quality will not be damage by this instructor and explain why not?

Sign In to comment