Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

College Fair

What types of things do some of you use to pull off a successful college fair when you do not have a lot of resources to provide "bells and Whistles"? I go to many college fairs where the folks at the table next to me have all kinds of goodies to pass out and I have very little flair to give out. I'm really interested in some ideas you might have? Thanks!

I know it's fun to have exciting free things to give out, but goodies won't be the deciding factor on your student's enrollment with you. Being personable, helpful and truthful is exactly what will get you enrollments.

I totally agree with Beth. I normally have some candy on the table with Detailed information about each Program. We utilize this with Catalogs and Program Slicks. Make sure you are knowledgeable about each program or bring someone that is. Being at your table to discuss your college and the programs is way better than having a beautiful table.

Yes it does seem a little unfair. I agree though if they want your school the free things they give out are not going to be a deciding factor.

I try to talk to any student who walks buy and ask them what they plan to study in college. If it is something that our college offers, I tell them that and then tell them about our competitive advantages. Personality can do more than "free stuff"

The best "goodie" you can give to a prospective student is honest confident information. Flair is fun but it isn't always the best way to entice a student. Showing the best of what your program has to offer while "keeping it real" will mean more to the student and give them a better lasting impression of your school. Look enthusiastic and approachable and they will come!

Does your school give you pens with their logo and number, maybe pads of paper with the reminder of who they received it from? If not here is the next best thing...
Give them a promise and deliver on it!!

I agree, I think personality is more important than free stuff.

I found that standing in front of the table helps attract people. Staying away from cellphones as well. So many reps from other schools are constantly on their cellphones. Scholarship information, for me, brings in more students than free stuff will ever bring in. Parent walk by my table, and when my scholarship application is on my table parents stop immediatly. When you get parents interested, and not just students, it makes the process of talking about your school much easier.

The "stuff" we give out can sometimes be burdensome (to keep track of), and it doesn't necessarily attract the best, most well qualified leads.

You, and the information you have to convey are your best tools whether or not you have a lot of promotional "doo-dads." A basic informational brochure and your card are good tools. I also like video presentations that can be run on a laptop.

Personally, I'd rather have a dozen or so well qualified and genuinely interested leads from a marketing event, than 100 names of people who just wanted a pen or a piece of candy....

That's just my opinion though.

In ohio we are not aloud to hand out free stuff. I agree Scholarship info is important. Staying at your table and smiling and be able to answer any question. Know your school.

You really have to have an outgoing personality for college fairs. A lot of teenagers are shy and if you have attended many than you know a lot of parents may nudge their teenagers or get material for them especially if their not motivated. Try to take some time to talk to them and show interest. I like to have candy on hand especially in the evening being that most are tired by 7p.m. Students love candy.

It is nice to have something to share, granted the information that we can share about our campus is clearly going to be more important than a "goody" or a piece of candy. But at the same time, it is nice to see them walk away with something that has our college name on it. It is also free advertisement.

Communicate to your organization that appearance is important in building reputation.. and that your tired of looking like second place at job fairs...

I faculty participate in a college fair, are they required to get an agent's permit?

Jamie:

Agent permits are only required in Ohio where the employee's primary job duties involve the solicitation of potential students. As almost all faculty would be considered primarily instructors, they would not need an agent permit even if they occasionally participated in some recruiting activities like college fairs.

I agree with everyone's statement. Prospective Students Usually buy into you before the school, so personality is very important.

We are a small school and we do not give out goodies to all students. My thought is if I need to give you something to attend my college you are not the type of student I may want. I want a student that wants to attend our college based on our programs and our career placement not free pins and posters. I know this works for some schools, but I have done very good without these types of things.

The problem with free stuff, or, as I like to call it, "swag," is that it can not only detract focus from the general purpose of your stand but it tends to draw in the wrong kind of crowd.

The people you attract with giveaway prizes are the really young children. Sure occasionally their adult will actually be interested in your school but 100% of the small children don't care. They want to spin the big wheel or win the (insert generic prize here).

If you're going to give away free gifts it should be to the people you want to remember your name. Catering to a gimmick like that may get more people to stop and look your way, but are they looking at you or are the looking at "free swag?"

I sometimes run into that same issue, but even tho the bells and whistles may attract the students' attention, it won't "make " them want to go there if it does not have substance. You have to present your school in an honest way and be friendly and open to the students, answering their questions and getting them excited about their futures....free pens, candy etc...won't do that.....

Sign In to comment