Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to address a comparison to another school.

Obviously we are not to portray a negative light on any other school. However, I have found that there are some students who really want me to compare my school to another. I have always told them that I am only informed on my school and our programs, and proceeded by giving them facts about my school. Does anyone else come across this situation? How do you handle it?

I have found that as long as you are able to properly promote your school and what you are able to offer them, there is no need to say anything bad about another school. It ends up having the oposite effect.

I encourage prospective students to make comparisons i.e. tuition, placement, faculty credentials. I do this for several reasons, including: 1) I feel that our school will stack up well against the competition; and 2) it leaves a good impression on the prospect by acknowledging that you're willing to be compared - that you're not "hiding anything" from the prospect.

However, I don't make the comparisons. Rather, I advise the prospect on how he/she can go about making necessary comparisons and getting second opinions. I suggest that prospects get academic catalogs from other schools, that they get feedback from businesses that have employed our school's graduates, etc.

If you make a prospect compare, I feel there is less chance of that person possibly getting "buyer remorse" somewhere down the road.

I'm careful never to speak negatively about another school. I feel it's distasteful. Instead I focus on the benefits of my school offerings and based on my conversation with the perspective student, I make sure student understands what is important to them and point out how my school meets their needs. I believe in full disclosure...a well informed student is the best student and is better retained.

When I get this question, I tell my student that I don't know anything about the other school because I don't work there, and if they like can cantact that school for information.I also tell them, I can only give them information about my school cuase that is what I know.

I agree completely! I also believe that it is okay if the prospective student asks a question about another school for me to simply reply that I am just not 100% on their information and to redirect back into providing the information about my school.

I agree with you. You can only provide information on the school that you are representing. If you accentuate the positive elements of your school with enthusiasm and provide a comfortable "open door" environment for the student. There may be no need to compare. The burden of proof is no longer on you... now, the other school must measure up.

I also come across this often. I think that the economy has created potential students that need to be well informed. I tell them I can share various features of our school and see if they would be benefits to you. I encourage them to ask questions to me and admissions reps at other schools. I don't want someone to start classes and then drop because they didn't have enough info.

I get this question many times, and I let the potential student know what I know that is factual. I research the school/s website and get the facts from there. Once I have them it is easy for me to make an honest comparison.

I agree, we cannot go about talking about other establishments and not talk about the benefits of your establishment first. It might also be a trick question. Maybe the person already went to the other place and they talked bad about yours and they want to see if you will do the same thing. That may be one of their decision points.

Students are usually looking at multiple schools when beginning the application process and often there are many questions in regards to how the school measures up according to the positives that the student saw while visiting another school. When I am met with this scenario, I simply hear what the potential student has to say and then I proceed to inform him/her of the facts of the college I represent. It is important that I do not say anything negative about another school for many reasons, but for none other than the fact that I am not trained, informed nor do I work for another school. The only school I am a representative is the one in which I am certified and that is the only school that I feel comfortable discussing. I have found that parents, when accompanying students on their visits, often do more comparison shopping than the actual student does and if the parent has a college education they often refer to the facts from the college/university that they attended. I find it is important that both the parent and the student feel like you are listening to their statements but its also important to proceed with only the facts you are trained on while never speaking about another college.

This often comes up in a college visit. I usually tell the student that I can only provide the information regarding our college. I encourage the student to research other schools to determine the right choice to fit their specific needs.

I agree- This comes up many times. I tell the student that I am totally aware of our school's programs and policy and not aware of other schools.

If I know that the other school is reputable, I say so. I'm not afraid to give a positive comment about another school. I feel this shows that I am fair, not afraid of comparisons, and not trying to sell them at any cost. Saying negative things about another school says more about you and your institution than it does about them.

Focusing on the attributes of my school and how those attributes best fulfill whatever needs the prospect has raised seems to be the best plan for us

I come across this situation daily. At times it is compounded by the student even complaining about another school. Just like you, I inform them that I am an expert in our programs and proceeses only, but encourage them to have open and honest communication with the instutution they have "arguement" with in hopes of coming to an amicable agreement.

When they are searching for an informaiton comparison, I always advise them to make an appointment with an admissions agent at the other school, and then sit down to compare their own notes afterward and schedule a follow-up if neccessary for clarifications.

I believe that telling to students to find the best fit for for them is important.. I encourage student to tour as many colleges as they can to find out what is the best fit for them! I think this is the best way to address question about other school.

I used this question to state that I am not so sure about the paticulars of the "other" school and use this time to highlight what areas we are different in and highlight many of our unique programs and features.

On occasion, I have been asked about other organizations that compete with mine. My response is as yours. I add that I encourage them to research the other organizations. This, then, does not shed a "bad light" on my organization or the other.

I also agree. I try to keep it professional and as realistic and honest as I can. I always encourage prospective students to talk to professors and staff at other institutions and even talk to numerous students. I only really know the back and front of my institution and I never hold back or hide information. Going to school is a sometimes a one shot opportunity and is a huge investment. I know I don't like to waste money and I don't feel that an investment in education is necessary. It's about the student they are the customer and need to be happy so always advise them to do their research.

Sign In to comment