Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Bachelor's Degree

I know that you mentioned earlier that it was not a requirement to have a Bachelor's Degree but I found that when I was searching for employment it was listed as a requirement in order to obtain employment. Is that just the preference of the employer? Or does this make a difference with accreditation?

Yareliss,
It is not a requirement by Florida Department of Education but may be by your school or accreditation agency.

I've noticed the same thing Yareliss, though I have never searched for Admissions postions in Florida. I see most admissions advertisements in my area say "bachelor's preferred" - including the school I work for now. I do not have a BS degree and am one of the top reps in my division

My thought is if you're recruiting for higher education institution..wouldn't it be more legit if you had at least a Bachelor's? So you don't seem hypocritical?

That's great Deborah. I have a BA degree in Communications and feel that having this degree has greatly helped me perform my job duties. What state do you work in?

Deborah,
Schools may add additional requirements for their reps.

I have a bachelor's degree but it's twenty plus years old and is in Criminal Justice. The majority of my career has been in Insurance and Financial Services. Our instructors essentially founded the industry we teach and there were no courses for that type of niche work at the time so I think it must be looked at in the proper context. My many years in sales have taught me how to listen and properly communicate my products. In this arena, my knowledge comes from understanding the rules and regulations that are established and can be understood and followed. The rest I believe comes from life and work experience and understanding of our curriculum in being able to help a prospective student determine if my school is the appropriate path for him or her.

David,
Excellent post and great advice.

that is preference of the employer and having bachelor's dose make a different

Dale,
You are right on target. Employers and the labor market set the standards.

It is not a requirement to have a bachelor degree to work in this industry, but some employers do require it. It is up to the employer of the requirements they want for their company and this position. My company does not require a bachelor degree alot of people I know that work here or haved worked here over the years have not had one.

Brian,
You are right in that it varies from school to school.

Sign In to comment