Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Transfer of Credits

I think that it is very important for Admissions Reps to know in depth the Institutions Trasfer of Credits Policy and the different accrediting bodies. This is a question that always seems to come up when students have attended other Institutions and/or are planning to continue education after.

Angelica,
It is up to the receiving institution to determine transferability of credits and the responsibility of the student to find out. They can never assume that all or any credits will transfer.

As an Admissions Representative its important to inform students about transferring credits into another institution. Each institution has its own transfer rules. If the student plans on transferring to another institution after graduating from yours, advise the student to check out the transferability of that course.

Maneka,
Yes, it is the student's responsibility to check the institution to which they wish to transfer credits.

For the returning student, acknowledgment of their prior learning from other schools is of high importance. Transferring credits from school to school allow students to have academic portability. Although I agree it is important for students to investigate the school they are considering, I believe it is equally important for admission representatives to know what their school's policy is concerning transfer credits.

Aaron,
Transfer of credits is such a hot topic. Students are responsible to find out what will transfer. Never assume a course or program will automatically be accepted. They need to investigate.

I agree. We can never make assumptions when it comes to the transfer of credits. We need to provide the student with the facts and they need to do their research as well.

Ninette,
Schools take transfer credit review very seriously and the student should never assume.

Some colleges take advantages of students who dont understand how transfer of credits work. Can you penalize colleges who take advantages of some students who have no idea about transfer of credits?

Jean,
CIE takes this topic very seriously. The catalog must specifically state that the transfer of credits is up to the receiving institution. Students who feel they have been mislead can contact the Commission. Ultimately with this disclaimer in the catalog, it remains the student's responsibility to research with the receiving institution.

From what I understand, in regards to using a students life experience as a credit, it is the responsibility of someone else in the institution other than the admissions rep to discuss, is that correct?

Henry,
The rules specifically address life credits and how these are to be handled. Normally, any type of advancement of credits are handled through the Education Department or Registrar.

I disagree! I believe a general knowledge of credit transfer is all Admissions Reps should focus on. The job of the Registrar evaluates and awards transfer credits. Reps that dabble in that may not be as objective as a registrar and could promise a prospect credit that is undeliverable.

I agree. I don’t get into the litigations of transferability of credits. I always say, "it’s up to the receiving institution to determine if credits are transferable or not."

Suzanne,
You are right! It is their responsibility.

William,
You are right. Many student complaints have arisen because of promises given of transfer. a detailed analysis must be made by the registrar or director of education as to acceptance of credits.

I agree. Many student ask about the transfer of credits. knowing the transfer of credit policy helps addresses questions the future student has.

I would agree that we as Reps are not allowed to comment on the exact credits that will transfer, but we must make the student aware of our transfer policy and how our credits could possibly transfer to other school... total disclosure is important.

I disagree as well. There is such a thing as having too much information. I believe that Rep's should get their ball in their own courts. Answer the question the best of your ability and move on or seek the help of your Registrar/Dean/Director.

Jenny,
Also having someone else discuss thesecomplex details shifts their attention span. So much information!

Sign In to comment