Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping up with the industries

It is important to keep up with the industries for which your institution's programs train. You can locate this information in your local newspaper, business publications, the news and the internet.

Cristina,
It is very important to see what the competition is doing in order to answer the question of why the prospective student should select your institution.

It is important to provide current information.

Drew,
It is important to provide current information but also be savvy on why taking the program will guide the student to achieving their dreams. Knowledge is power. Make sure to research anytime a certification is required to work in the field.

I believe that (at least) in the case of schools with specific career focus, increasing product knowledge is easily the number one thing that admissions reps can do to dramatically increase enrollments, retention, student satisfaction and success.

Really understanding what the training (and the career that will follow) are really about will allow you to better assist students every step of the way - and well into their new (or improved) careers. A large number of our assisted job placements/Hires come from former students, now doing the hiring, who come to us directly for staff. (The school has admittedly been around a long time - but product knoledge is the key...)

Dennis,
I heartily agree. Stepping out to the work world is a big step for the students and we want to make sure they are well prepared and well informed as they cross through the door to their career.

I read the classified section of the Sunday paper in the area I work in and cut out job advertisements that relate to the programs our school offers. I find that students are very interested in seeing local advertisements so that they know what jobs are available. I also make it a priority to visit employers about once a month in order to stay abrest of current hiring trends, salaries, and find out if they employ any graduates of my school. This is also a great way to learn how the industry views my school.

Randall,
Check in with your Career Services Department on a regular basis. They should be posting current job opportunities and if your school has externships, you will be also able to visit those locations. Often externship sites hire the best!

This training was spot on and provided me with useful tips to better enhance my division. I have to agree with many of the posts on this blog.

In addition to utilizing the newspaper and other forms of job boards I also believe attending local events is a useful key. Paying attention to the local salons/businesses that are thriving is an essential method of figuring out what's working. Creating relationships with people in the industry and constantly helping the students to realize the power of networking to build their business is key to a successful business. Being eager about learning more and continuing education should be a necessity. Attending hair shows and being visible is also a very good way to market your business. I'm excited about all of the tips offered and I believe this coarse is a great reference.

Octavia,
Thank you for your feedback. I can feel your enthusiasm.

I cannot agree more about the "why" part. I know in my prior going to school experiences, I didn't get enough of why I should take a particular course or courses or even why I should major in what I did I wish my counsellor then would have taken this course before advising me. I try and remember this every time I talk to a prospective student. Making the student understand all the choices will make them happy, make them refer future students and provide a whole lot of job satisfaction. Isn't there a lot of benefit to helping someone along in their career? If anyone has mentioned that, I didn't notice.

Tony,
I agree. There is no better satisfaction than seeing their success because of the education they received at your school. Kudos!

I agree! Networking is very important in many ways. It keeps you on top of trends and what the public wants, it keeps you fresh and excited about your business, It's also an avenue for ways to expand your business in directions you may not have realize.

Lucia,
Networking keeps up with the industry but also with the people who make it happen. Networking also helps our students long after the classroom experience.

It certainly helps to stay current, especially when you are in the career planning process! How else would we know terms such as "low voltage electronics" if were not current? That helped a graduate's decision to enroll into our electrical trades program!

Maria,
Now I want to know what the term low voltage electronics is!

The best way for your institution to provide career assistance is to have involvement with the potential students prior before they are about to graduate so that they are better prepared for career opportunities.

Stephen,
It is important that Career Services be involved from the beginning to work with and prepare the student for employment upon graduation.

Besides all the good information that you provide the students about their industries, it is a great selling tool. Knowing the actual facts about that particular industry makes a big impact during an interview.

Yasmin,
The information you provide is very important in your dicussion with the student. I agree it is very important to have a full understanding of the industry.

Sign In to comment