Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Advertising and Marketing

Although advertising is essential to help contribute to a school's growth it is often one area that is abused. It is not uncommon to see websites whose intent is to advertise for educational programs use the disguise of "Help Wanted" ads. Considering the state of our economy I find these particularly offensive.

Kenneth,
The Commission strictly prohibits misleading advertising including advertising under the want ads instead of education opportunities.

Our Advertising and Marketing is handled through a central office and has very strict compliance guidelines. All local efforts must also be approved through a compliance office before it is aired, printed or distributed. I would recommend organizations develop some form of compliance process through an individual to complete research or a department who can help maintain compliance.

Frederick,
Very good advice. Making sure that advertising meets the regulations it important to maintaining comsumer protection.

Hi, Patty. I copied this link from an ad in CareerBuilder under Admissions jobs in Florida. It certainly looks like it "pushes the envelope".

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=ILKV2N&ff=21&APath=2.21.21.0.0&job_did=J3G6LT6KMW2VR77PZ3C

The same ad is running for several locations in the state.

Kenneth,
Thank you for the information. I will pass it on to the Commission.

i believe that its not right or fair. because the person applying for that job maybe already qualified for that position, and now has to get a million phone calls from a veriety of schools cause of a hidden ad.

Monitoring these types of misleading advertisements is extremely important not only for compliance but for the relationship built between the prospective student and the institution. Anything perceived to be misleading should not be allowed to be published and should be brought to the attention of the Commission.

Patti

Joseph,
That type of advertising is very misleading. This is prohibited by the Commission in advertising rules.

Patti,
It is important to notify the Commission. Staff is ready to assist.

Yea I have seen some of those out there. That is just sad that an instition would stoop to that level. I mean what part of advertising in a shady way do they think is appealing to potential candidates.

Joshua,
Very misleading!

there is a lot of misleading ads in newspapers because they leave out pertinent information or imply that there is more opportunities than there really is. The best advertising is still word of mouth from former students which is another reason to use the utmost integrity when discussing your programs.

Lorraine,
Personally developed leads are the best advertising. There is trust in those who have "been there and done that."

yes we have to watch for misleading advertisment

Dale,
Advertisements must meet the requirements of CIE's Standard 11.

We get a lot of leads just looking for a job and it's up to us to really explore if we can help. People get bombarded with calls and by the time we call them they are irate. I think job seekers should not be given tricky worded ads that requires them to put in their infomation in order to move to the next step.

Ebonee,
This is where the Commission works hard to protect the consumer. Education is hard work!

Sign In to comment