Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What do you know about your institution?

How do you rate your knowledge about your institution? Be specific about what you know and what you are discovering.

I consider myself knowledgable on many aspects of my institution. I am an instructor, spent 9 months working in career services, and now have moved into an admissions role. I think it is very important to understand your school from a variety of aspects; most importantly try to see your school from the students perspective so that you fully understand what is important to them.

I know that my instuion offers diploma, associate, and bachelor degrees. I am in the process of learning a great deal about all aspects of my instiution especially the diploma and degree programs. I rate my knowledge as a novist at the moment but in the works of being very fluent with how it operates on a daily basis.

Our institution is new I am discovering the importance of following the Florida Statutes and rules and regulations. This course has been extremely helpful in understanding that knowledge of the requirements for an applicant and advertising is the importance of being accurate in what you have in writing or verbally express. Always have this information following the guidelines of the Fair Consumer Practices.

I am fairly new to my institution and I am in the process of becoming more knowledgeable about the products offered and the path taken to achieve each certificate. So far I have learned the do's and do nots of admissions and now discovering the statutes that governs them.

Quite honestly, I am very surprised my campus is so well organized and efficient. I haven't had a chance to get to far down into the weeds. I've just scratched the surface in learning about our programs, degrees, facilities, and personnel, not to mention the student population/demographic. Of course, as a military retiree, I pay close attention to detail and have seen several areas in which I could recommend s little modernization and improvement. Overall, though, I'm very impressed.
So, I'd say a know just enough to be dangerous at this point, but I'm learning every day and can't wait to become an impact player!
Specifically, I know what programs of study are available, the academic calendar (more or less), the number of students on our campus, the services available at our LRC, and I've met & gotten to know 95% of the staff.

Having moved through a number of positions on the academic side of the institution, I feel comfortable in discussing most department's duties and responsibilities.

I am less knowledgeable on the specifics of financial aid but I will get up to speed for my own benefit and so I can field basic questions from applicants. I do intend to call the FA office if the questions get too specific and let the prospect speak directly to one of the experts.

As a suggestion, if access can be allowed to your institution's last self study in preparation for an accreditation visit, you can learn a great deal about your institution's operation. Of course you would have to ensure the information is still current if it has been awhile since the last accreditation visit......but these documents usually cover the entire spectrum of what is accomplished within an institution.

I have learned a lot more about the financial aid aspect of my instutiton. I have learned what to discuss the applicant and who is responsible for sharing that information with them (i.e.refunds prorate amoun, when they can recieve it.) Basically, each employee has their role and lane that they must sty in and that is what makes the instituion funcution at it's best.

Since I have worked at this school for 20 years, I feel very comfortable with my knowledge of every aspect of the educational and administrative requirements. I have attended board meeting for the Florida Board of Massage and the dept of Education (CIE) for almost 2 decades and am comfortable with rules and regulations. The policies and procedures were written and implemented by myself, so it would be scary if I did not know something about them. As a true professional, I know my school, the material presented to the students, the legalities of educational institutions, etc. I really did not learn anything from this course, since I was already familiar with all the content, but I do understand we must all follow what our "well-meaning" politicians require of us.

what i have found to be successful is to take time and speak with the department head for each department to better familiarize yourself with your institution.

Valerie,
You have a well-rounded background that will certainly add to your conversations with prospective students.

Patty Aronoff

Karleen,

Keep on learning! Ask questions. Get involved. You will learn something new everyday.

Patty Aronoff

Sue,

Fair Consumer Practices makes every school, every student on the same level. It is doing the right thing, all the time.

Patty Aronoff

Lorrine,

Excellent! Know your catalog and why we are required to do the things we do. It will bring everything into perspective.

Patty Aronoff

David,
You are off to a great start! Having input from those just entering into the field is valuable information. Sometimes we have been so far into the weeds we have forgotten what is coming from the surface.

Patty Aronoff

Frank,

Do call, do ask! There are many resources available to assist.

Patty Aronoff

Frank,

Very good suggestion! It can alert you to what happened in the past, and what is happening today.

Patty Aronoff

Maicel ,
We need to understand which lane we need to stay in but more importantly, we are on the same road.

Patty Aronoff

michael,
You will be a valuable resource to those just taking the course in this arena, but just as important, a valuable resource to your institution and your students.

Patty Aronoff

Sign In to comment