Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Who should you know?

Networking is an important part of your position. There are certain people you should be networking with on a regular basis. These include the Director of Education and the Placement Director. Both of these people have valuable information about the institution that you can include in your discussions with prospective students. They will help you keep current about the details of the programs that are offered and the services that are provided. The Placement Department can provide you with information about where students get jobs, what they are doing, and their successes. Always remember that applicants attend your institution primarily with the goal of training for a new career and getting a job. Involve your placement personnel in the admissions process as much as possible. Career Services can help provide the most current job market information to educate applicants about the career they are applying for. Make sure you are networking with the right people to be informative for students with the current information.

Cristina,
Excellent advice! The staff within the school can provide you with the in-depth information not readily found within the notebook. Having a good communication with the departments gives you a step up.

I belive this is a very important point. To talk with the Director of each department after the training and get the update information about our intitution.

Lorena,
Half of knowledge is knowing where to find knowledge. Meeting with directors and lead instructors can provide you with valuable insight into the programs offered by your institution.

I make it a point to talk to my Directors every day to see if there is anything new/changes.

I think getting to know all of the other departments in your institution is critical. Students need to know everything a school has to offer before they are able to make a decision on what school is best for them. Everyone can read a catalog and get general information on a school but to actually meet with other departments and actually witness what the students experience while in the classrooms, career services, or while on externship will allow you as an admissions rep to answer all of the students questions based on experience and with more enthusiasm.

John,
Speaking with directors, students, instructors and other staff keep you well informed. You may also want to share your experiences so that they may better understand your aspect of dealing with the students.

Gennymar,
Experiential learning really gets to the heart of it all, doesn't it. Thank you for bringing this to the forum.

I have to agree with this statement. It is imperative for these two departments to work closely together. One takes care of the initial contact with the perspective student, and the other is on the back end. If everyone isn't on the same page, there will be major conflicts. I can add one more into this equation. Director of Admissions. All 3 departments have vital positions within the school. And should be updated on a weekly if not daily basis.

I am grateful to have all of the people that I find essential in the same area of offices at my institution. I have found that working next to them has allowed me to gain information that maybe I wouldn't have encountered unless I would have asked for it. The Director of Admissions at my school has been truly important to my learning experience in this new field, and approaching the Placement Officer at my school for answers to some of the questions suggested here was very helpful as well.

Tracy,
Consistency breeds compliance and keeps any misleading information at bay. Good communication links are vital.

Damaris,
You will find that people like to talk and share about what they know best.

I often make it a point to introduce prospects to staff and faculty during tours. I work at a small institution which makes this pretty easy.

Terrance,
Very good practice to introduce prospective students to staff. Very welcoming.

I, also, work at a small institute, a smile and a wave from an instructor or students makes a prospective student feel "at home".

Kim,
I agree. Everyone wants to enjoy a friendly place and be greeted with a smile.

By getting to know what each department has to offer, you are not only aiding yourself in the numbers game, but you have a more accurate idea of what is in place to help each individual student. Thus, making their experience with your school more beneficial. Each prospect should be treated as an individual, instead of a number. Knowing what services will matter to them the most makes you and your school appear noticeably more interested in the needs of the students.

Patricia,
They are individuals and expect to be treated as such.

School enrollment can be increased through Networking. Good training contracts can be signed through Networking. I't a vital part in school advertising.

Sign In to comment