Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Records

My institution stores students' records electronically. Enrollment agreements, certificates of completion, tuition payments - everything is scanned and stored in a CRM database, searchable by program or name of student. We even store relevant notes about when we spoke to the student, what course they are enrolling in next, etc. Our school administration has access to these files, and we find it streamlines sharing or updating information. Do we also need to keep paper files for our students?

Alyse,
You will find that some prospective students are not fully comfortable with all technology today and will want to see it in paper form.

Yes, I believe that it is important to keep a paper trail for each document. This way, administration will have more than one way to access important information concerning students

Essence,
Both state and accreditating agencies require a strict paper trail through the admissions process. Correct forms and proper signatures are just a few audit items to look for.

Alyse,
I think your institution is really moving towards the future when it comes to technology. The only problem I can possibly forsee arising from that scenario, is that all electronic information is subject to being terminated. For instance, a server goes down, or a breach in security, etc. I think there should be both, computerized and handwritten information, this way rest assured you always have the information.

Manny

Manuel,
I heartedly agree. Technology is a wonderful tool but having the notebook can save the day when the technology fails. Plus, many clients like to see it in writing!

I agree that technology is a wonderfull tool because it provides an easy access to the students' information. However, since computers often crash, blackouts occur, etc. we can't fully rely on computers alone: we need hard copies.

Esther,
I agree! It's great to have it in a format that can be relied upon. Also, sometimes prospective students want to see it in writing.

Technology is a great tool and is here to stay. Practically, any document can be easily stored, retrieved, printed, faxed, and emailed with just a click. Relying on hard copies only is counterproductive, takes additional space, is more expensive to maintain, and more challenging to keep it organized. I, personally, believe that both, hard copies and electronic copies are still necessary, but I believe that hard copies will soon become obsolete.

Inalbys,
Technology is great when it works and granted there are many advantages to having resources electronically. Depending upon your student base, you would be surprised how many people do not have computers or access to the Internet. Keep that in mind!

Electronic records also ensures that in the case of a catastrophic event the institution will be able to reproduce the records.

Carl,
It is also important to remember that the Commission for Independent Education is the custodian of student files and complete student record maintenance is part of operating an institution in Florida.

Even though we are an I.T. school, the majority of our records including enrollment agreements and such are on paper still. That said, there is a certain amount of a student's records that are digital - it's good for backup, but it does make for double effort when I am looking up a student's info, as I always have to check both sources...

We live in a wonderful age that gives us the ability to store a lot of information in smaller areas and the speed to find what we need quickly but we will always need the human readable record to protect history. Machines and the software to run them change at ever increasing rates and may not be able to process older data. Who remembers floppy disks, Super-8 movies? Can you still retrieve data from them?

Dennis,
I know several schools that bridge the gap between paper and electronic by scanning. You then have a true copy of the orignal documents.

Cynthia,
You are so right! Many students do not even have access to a computer or the internet. We cannot assume that everyone is technologically savvy.
Having a readable copy in paper format should always be available.

I agree! It is ideal to have both electronic and hard copy options. Specifically for our school, which tends to have older students who tend to not be as comfortable with new technologies, we have the electronic enrollment agreement as an option but rely mainly on hard copies.

Sara,
Technology is rapidly changing the world but not everyone is there yet. It is a good practice to maintain both formats.

our Registrar department store all file in their office. As a students graduates, drops etc. they are scanned into the server and the hard file is destroyed. i feel it is always best to keep the original signed contract and documentation until the stduent graduates or drops.

Michelle,
Electronic storage is a great way to keep records.

Sign In to comment