Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Definitions

What are some of the terms and definitions commonly used during the admission process at your institution?

Nothing really. I feel like I'm pretty versed in everything required

Timothie,
Your confidence abounds! The sector is a very dynamic one and the arena is always changing. Keep learning.

New to the admission arena but spent last 11 years as a military recruiter. You never know it all and must have access to reference materials to remain competent. I did not know where to find guidance for CIE until reviewing for tests. good info.

Thomas,
Great feedback! Thanks! The resource notebook can be a world at your fingertips, make it your own.

I think the resource notebook will be a valuable reference tool. I have placed our Student Handbook and the Commission for Independent Education materials in my book.

Rebecca,
Excellent news! Add additional materials to make your jobs more successful, for example ad slicks and detailed program information.

Terms used during the admission process at my institution include some of the ones discussed in this session and in the FL Administrative Code Commission Rules. Accreditation and Enrollment Agreement (we shorten it to "EA", transcript, semester credits, quarter credits and GPA are extremely common. We also refer to "prerequisites", the courses required to be eligible to apply to the program. Another term we use in relation to the prerequisites is "bridge" class. A bridge or "cross-over" class is a class that bridges the gap from High School to college to get the student where they need to be. We refer to the "APG Committee" which is the Admission, Progression and Graduation Committee.

I have placed the statutes and regulations from this lesson along with a school catalog, ACCSC Standards of Accreditation and the Consumer Disclosures Under the Higher Education Act of 1965. I have over the years gained a plethora of knowledge about our institution and over the last few months have had an opportunity to dig much deeper into the rules and regulations. I am especialy excited about this course which will serve to enhance my knowledge. I feel it is going to be most helpful, especially with the increased scrutiny of for profit education. As Admissions professionals it is imperative we stay on top of all changes in the rules, regulations and bodies that govern us!

Some of the terms commonly used at our institution are; Enrollment Agreement, Advertising, Accreditation (and we make sure we acknowledge the name of our accrediting body when we make reference to accreditation), Enrollment and Fair Consumer Practices.

Pamela,
Terms we use often seem like a different language to prospective students. Impressive to know that you are knowledgeable on what those terms means and where to obtain the information.

Pamela,
Sounds like you are on the right track! With your wealth of knowledge and willingness to continue to learn, your confidence will shine.

Pamela,
Excellent! Make sure to distinguish between licensure and accreditation. Often, students have dfficulty in distinguishing between the two.

some of the terms are class start date, expected graduation date, and job placement, and date of departure for work: class start date: is the class start date the student will be starting in, expected graduation date - the date the student will complete the program if they meet all requirements and attend, date of departure is the date they will begin working for their new employer. Job placement is the assistance our school provides in obtaining employment.

Albert,
Definitions are important as we want to make sure everyone is speaking or referring to the same thing. Keep up the good work!

I have the terms and definitions, orginzation chart, enrollment agreement and all of our most current advertising.

Joshua,
It is important to add your institution's catalog, Florida Statutes and Rules, and any accreditation information.

Creating a Resource Notebook make me more secure in my daily routine job.
I introduce the application for substantive change & minor modification, regarding change in our programs from clock hours to credit hours.
The catalog is another important document inside the resource notebook
The manual procedures too

Eduardo,
The resource notebook can be a wonderful asset. Add to it to make it your own. Add copies of the ad slicks to see what your prospective students are looking at.

I have the enrollment agreement, the catalog,the admission package,the manual procedure..
However I learned here regarding an organization chart that I included already.
Rules regarding marketing materials and strategies
In general with this module, I learned how important is to be up date my Resource Notebook

Sign In to comment