Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

prospect students ability to complete a course

what will be the most reliable method to insure a prospect students ability to complete the course of study.

Tania,
Depending upon your institution, there should be an entrance exam, such as Wonderlic, that can determine educational level. However, once a test is given, it will take careful interviewing techniques to determine commitment and life balances. No one factor can determine success.

I agree with Patty, there is no way to guarantee success. But by completing an entrance exam, meeting admissions requirements and completing the admissions interview will ensure that you have done your part.

I think it goes way past educational ability to complete a course. It also should include emotional and personal circumstances. Someone can have the ability to pass an entrance exam but if they do not have the child care for all the days they will be in class they will be unable to finish the program. Or if the student is pregnant and is planning to take a few months off after the baby is born then they would not be a good candidate to finish the program. I believe all these aspects should be looked at before enrolling a student.

Samantha,
So important is your point!

I completely agree. We as admissions representatives must have a solution for every excuse that a student may give. Different situtations and circumstances will arise throughout the program, but if you interview the prospect correctly, and find that that particular course is their true interest, then there should be no reason for them not to succeed

Shernice,
Remember though, life has its challenges.

One thing that has always been stressed to my team and I is to not guarantee success in an academic program, avoiding language like "when you graduate", etc. Even if a student had the academic ability to gain access to the program doesn't mean they WILL complete the program. Instead, we've always focused on the different resources available and commitment of our faculty/staff to the goal of student success.

Joshua,
Your philosophy is one of integrity and honesty. It takes commitment of the student to be successful.

I've seen so many students want to find the "right time" to go to school, when in reality, there is not one perfect time. Life always happens. I think what helps my students is letting them know that there are other students at our school in the same boat, but they're making it happen. They need to know that there will be struggles and it won't always be easy. If it was easy, then everyone would have their degree. As long as they keep their priorities in order, they'll have a better chance of succeeding. If they don't see school as a top priority in their life, then they might want to reconsider taking classes.

Marlena,
There is never a right time for anything we do in life because there are no guarantees and life serves us challenges.

During the interview process, we use more than an "entrance exam" to assess potential performance and to impress the seriousness of what is expected to be in this program. Not only do we administer a 20 question exam and individually ask challenging clinical questions in front of a admissions board, we administer a Critical Thinking and Personality Assessment Exam which has helped tremendously. Our attrition rate is amazingly low and student performance is top in the country evidenced by comparative comprehensive score exams.
I feel that our rigorous, extremely competitive interview process sets the correct perception for prospect students to understand "that we expect 110% or you will be out!"
We feel very strongly about making this impression because attrition is a huge financial loss for the student and our institution! I highly recommend it!

I have come to understand this is very individual to each program. I feel this is where you admissions committee is very important. We now have an appointed admissions committee of 7 voting members. Each member must be involved in all interviews. Each member is directly involved with the instruction/evaluation of students and knows what is required of each student on a daily basis throughout the program. We do use objective data such as GPAs, testing scores, years of experience, etc.; however, we weight the interview (one-on-one face time) very heavily. This last year we did implement a critical thinking exam. Most of the applicants thought it was a personality quiz, but it provided several data sets for insight into how and why the students made decisions. Armed with this data, the interview committee could determine if the applicant would "fit in" the program and the profession. It was especially helpful when deciding between candidates whos scores were close. It also allowed us to see development of maturity in an applicant that may not have been reflective in a GPA from their early college years.

Scarlett,
Very interesting process!

Sign In to comment