Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The importance of the admissions dep training

I have been working for a post secondary education institution and we always were aware about all these regulations but not until know I realize how important and how many details we need to be conscious about. This training so far has helped me understand more about my institution and how my accurate performance will influence our look.

i agree completely. As one who started in Amdissions then went to another department, being back in Admissions required me to have additional training. Regulations and best practices have changed so much and continue to change so quickly, that ongoing and thorough training is necessary.

Carolina,
Compliance is key and the importance of clear understandings is the road to get there.

Alison,
I believe you have discovered how quickly things change. We should always be learning and honing our skills and knowledge.

Carolina- there are a number of institutions that have run the day to day operations without training. However, we have come to find more and more that it's necessary to regulate what is being said to students in the enrollment process, not only to protect the institution but the consumer. What I found was interesting is that if a student is found to not be eligible for admission to the institution, all money must be refunded that is collected. Does that mean the application fee as well?

Shannon,
I would defer to the Commission directly for rule interpretation specific to your school.

I will agree with you 100 percent. In the realm of Higher Education, change comes quickly and hard. There are so many regulations to follow, sometimes it can seem to be overwhelming. I know working in the for profit sector is a constant struggle to justify your existance, but no other industry can provide what we provide to the general public. This training has definitely shed some insight as to the depth of the regulations, and I think it's a good thing for all of us to appreciate and understand the people who are working behind the scenes to ensure we have jobs to follow rules.

Michael,
The rules are there to protect us all. When schools have deviated from them, everyone suffers.

This training has taught me alot in interacting with students...how it's important to make sure information given is on point and concise. I agree w/ Patty and feel the rules are there to protect us.

The importance of providing clear and correct information is not just an ethical issue but a legal one as misrepresentation of the program can lead to denial, probation or revocation of the license.

It is beneficial to have online training such as this one, to not only keep Admissions regulations in line, but it helps keep our relationships with other departments in line as well. Coming from a different proprietary school from another state, it is interesting to see how rules and regulations differ.

Fasil,
It is about ethics and honesty. We are protecting our clients and ourselves when we do the right thing.

I agree. The admissions department needs to be trained properly to advise students in the best possible way along with protecting the school.

I have to agree, I have only been working in Admissions for a few months now and I do think being consistent with your training definatly helps keep up to date with the regulations. I also was happy to see all these definitions and terms they are going to be very helpful for me to have a full understanding of everything.

Being consistent is very important in our line of work, you have to bring a hard work ethic everyday. I will also use some of the terms as well.

I agree, I have learned so much more about the admissions rep's job. They have alot of rules/ responsibilities to adhere to that I was not aware of. Their job isn't simply "enrolling students". They must make sure they are following the guide lines.

It truly is important for admissions to receive training such as this because it needs to be understood that it is called admissions and not sales for a reason. Their job focus should be helping students enroll in a program that is right for them and making sure students are properly prepared for the program and set up for success.

At my last institution, there were too many admissions representatives worrying about their "start numbers" so they were enrolling students who weren't properly informed of the requirements, total cost, etc... Institutions are also at fault with this type of behavior. This type of training is beneficial for admissions and the institution, but ends up benefiting the students they serve the most.

Meghan,
States are very different in how the regulate and therefore, this training provides you the Florida rules and regulations.

Daisy,
Exactly! It is not always about intent, it's about misleading the student.

Joshua,
I agree! Starts are only healthy for the school if they stay and graduate. A poor start is nothing more than an expensive drop later.

Sign In to comment