Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online institutions

Do you think states outside florida that have online institutions should adopt similar programs like this one is in Florida?

Jeff,
Each state is different and the regulations apply only to that state. The question you pose has yet to be determined considering who regulates the internet and how are you protected as a student in a virtual environment?

Hi Jeff!

I most certainly do think that other states should adopt practices like Florida does. Having the Florida COmmission for Independent Education and the subsequent training it provides, allows for manditory training that is essential for Admissions employees to keep up to date with.

Having consistant training will hopefully help Colleges stay ethical and compliant!

-Krista

Good question, Jeff. I completely agree with Krista's comment. Other states and online schools should have to adopt similar practices to protect the consumer. There shouldn't be an exception for those institutions that don't have campuses, in fact, it should be regulated more considering the consumer is going through an enrollment process without any face to face interaction. I am sure changes will come due to the bad press that we have seen in the past year. The training is there to protect both the consumer as well as the Admissions personnel and prevent them from misleading an individual whether innocent or not. Without knowing there is too much room for error.

I feel that every institution should follow the same guidelines as set here in Florida. That way everyone is on the same page as far as how online and campus programs operate. Too many people have been mislead with online programs with various institutions as we have seen on youtube and in the news. If every institution had the same guidelines, there would be less confusion for everyone, and we would see less people having issues with those online programs.

I agree, knowledge is wealth, policies and procedures change all the time. I think that it should be manditory for all schools nation wide!

Krista,
Compliance is all in the news these days. We should always go the extra mile to ensure compliance.

Keri,
As we move to a virtual world, we would expect every institution to be regulated somewhere. Unfortunately, diploma mills find this virtual world their home base.Finding an online school with a real home, regulation and accreditation is important.

James,
Every state likes to keep their own regulation autonomy. Schools should have a home base for online administration and the regulation falls to the state where that happens.

Tim,
It would be great if that happened and would eliminate the ease of diploma mills to pop up.

Having regulations and training set in place are important for fair consumer practices. It establishes guidelines for the institution as well as the admission representative. This program should be in place in all states that have independent postsecondary education institutions.

Robert,
The State of Florida is proud of their consumer protection regulations. Many states have similar regulations, but keep in mind, no two states are alike.

You can sit everywhere in the world and still be able to attend an online school. I think regulation is very important, especially on the internet with all it's ups and downs.
If it is practible to make all other states do the same as florida does it's another question.
And there's the rest of the world. An online student starting an online class in California, moving to Japan but still attending his classes is for sure a different taks to regulate than a student sitting in a class room in Los Angeles...

Daniel,
You bring an important point to the table. There are so many diploma mills that use the internet as their draw. Online schools have to go the extra mile to ensure their legitimacy.

As one of the people who first talk with prospective students, I hear students' anger and disappointment in having started with an online school and then not being able to complete their degrees for one reason or another. For example, not having the option of having a physical campus to meet with financial aid, instructors, and other important faculty & staff members is very upsetting to them. Compliance and regulations should be the same for home-based or online institutions, as well as an actual facility.

Yes, I think this would be a great idea. As a Campus Director I have both on line and brick and mortar students They all need to be given the same information to insure compliance.

Yes, I most certianly agree. There should be a uniform pattern serving the interest of the Student.

Hi Patty,

I found this Website to be a useful resource:

http://www.careercollegecentral.com/news/As_Online_Education_Grows,_National_Providers_Struggle_With_State_Regulations

It discusses some legislative issues as well as some concerns related to approach. Basically, it described how a decentralized approach rooted in the 1980s and 1990s is creating issues that may not be present in a centralized approach.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,
Thank you for the link to the article. It is a conundrum for sure. States will fight for their right to regulate.

Brenda,
Online schools definitely have diffent challenges and they are not for every student. Online education is very disciplined and not for those who procrastinate.

Sign In to comment