Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files
We must take into account the population of students we serve, geographic area, in addition to academic qualifications, professionals and experiences in the industry.

In an online learning environment for an institution of higher education, there are a plethora of considerations to make when hiring instructors for online teaching. Depending on the type of program being taught and the specificaitons of the institution, considerations like professional/industry experience, specific online teaching experience, workload with other commitments, and the degree of educaiton are vital. For our school, we would need to have in-state practitioners employed due to HECC and Oregon HLO requirements, as a College of Beauty. Thinking of adjunct instructors, I would like to look more in-depth at recent graduates or professionals who are younger in the indsutry, with relevant experience, to make pop-in visits or teach specific funtions of a curricula. 

Many factors are to be considered in hiring online faculty.  Taking into consideration credentials, industry experience, state of residence, and teaching experience all play important factors when hiring online faculty.

There are many aspects to choosing the most effective faculty.

Education,experience,use of the LMS, teaching and learning styles are some aspects. 

Knowledge of the required educational degrees for teaching specific subjects, along with state education requirement and programmatic certification are the most important factors to consider. 

The hiring of adjunct instructors can be beneficial because they offer real world experience for students.  

It is important to consider academic credentials, regulations, and real-world experience when hiring faculty

This module reinforced much of what we are already doing when hiring faculty. For us, "full-time adjuncts" who teach at other schools don't work well. They can learn to use canned responses and get mixed up on the requirements because not all schools have the same expectations. By far, the best faculty for our school are faculty working in the field.

We are expecting instructors to engage more with students other than providing written feedback inside forums and with assignment grades. We would like to incorporate more mini-lectures via audio or video and/or have instructors meet virtually in real time with students. These are unique skills that need to be addressed during the interview. This course has already encouraged me to review our hiring process.

I believe it's very important to hire diverse faculty where some may have more teaching experience and others may bring more recent clinical experience. Combining these two can result in content being up-to-date with current market trends while also being able to deliver content as experienced educators. 

Hiring professionals still working in the field brings real-time experience to our students.  

Hiring faculty with real-world experience will have an easier time teaching their subject matter because they have actually experienced it.  They are better able to explain any lectures and add some value to that lecture by giving examples from their previous experience.

LMS approach and experience, demographics of previously served students, and other teaching affiliations/commitments are preferred credentials for consideration.

Ensuring I have faculty with credentials and real-world experience. I also need to be attuned to different state regulations - both in terms of credentialing and employment law - so I do not make errors that put my program or institution at risk.

Hiring subject matter experts in addition to having a formal education is pertinent to the learning experience.  I don't know that we give as much credence to effective LMS teaching and delivery of content. Online learning can be an exceptional way to deliver content if we (as Instructors) are willing to use some of the suggested examples. 

Comment on Liane Pardo-Mansfield's post: I agree that an experienced professional in addition to education is good. My concern is getting them past the training and effective presentation skills of using the LMS in a way the learner can maximize engagement. 

The process of selecting faculty for online teaching involves several key considerations:

Qualifications and Expertise:

Ensure that faculty members have the necessary academic qualifications and expertise in the subject they will be teaching online.
Consider their experience with online teaching and familiarity with the technology and tools used in virtual classrooms.
Communication Skills:

Effective communication is crucial in online learning environments. Faculty members should be proficient communicators, both in written and verbal communication, to engage students effectively.
Adaptability and Tech-Savviness:

Online teaching requires adaptability and a willingness to embrace technology. Faculty members should be comfortable using online platforms, multimedia tools, and other digital resources.
Student-Centered Approach:

Look for faculty members who prioritize student success and are committed to providing a positive and engaging learning experience in the online environment.
Feedback and Evaluation:

Consider faculty members who are open to feedback and continuously strive for improvement. The ability to assess student performance and provide constructive feedback is essential in an online setting.
Availability and Responsiveness:

Online students may have varying schedules, and faculty members should be accessible and responsive to student inquiries. Consider the availability of faculty for virtual office hours and timely responses to emails or discussion board posts.
Team Collaboration:

If the online program involves collaborative projects or interdisciplinary approaches, look for faculty members who can effectively collaborate with colleagues in a virtual environment.

When hiring online adjunct faculty, you must know state rules and regulations and consider accreditation standards. 

Networking can be an important way to help support the growth of faculty. The goal of an organization should be that the most qualified faculty are hired, and that is facilitated when faculty come from referrals whenever possible.

Hire faculty with current experience in the field is crucial to the student learning experience.

Industry professionals are n important enhancement to the online learning experience.

Sign In to comment