Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Board Vitality

Maintaining board vitality requires attention and recognition, what are some of the ways you can enhance the effectiveness of your board while staying within your budget?

I really like the idea of building block seminars that was presented. Once I am able to build attendance, that may be a way to encourage ongoing participation. My advisory committee meets only twice per year, but I think the concept might work with just a brief review of the previous segment at the beginning of the meeting.

Teri,

I hope you have gained some insight into ways to “build attendance” in addition to enhancing the effectiveness of your advisory board. If you use the processes and strategies presented throughout the course, I would expect theta your meetings will be more effective and productive. Good Luck!

R. Roehrich

Since we are an automotive school, most of our advisory are service managers from automotive dealerships,therefore mock interviews with students is a great way to keep them involved. It will also help to place some of the students in part-time positions. This will help to keep the members of the board feeling valadated and important. When someone feels this way it will make them want to continue to come to meetings.

Linda,

This is a great example of how to maintain the effectiveness of an advisory board. Thank you for this contribution.

R. Roehrich

I like to invite our advisory board members to speak to class and share their knowledge for the industry that they represent. The students gain from it and it makes the board member feel recognized. I also plan on inviting my board members to graduation and also to social events that we may have at the school. I also agree with Linda and can not wait until our students get to their Career Focus class II so that I can set up mock interviews with the board memebers and hopefully my students will obtain employment through some of our members. I am excited about my next next board meeting so that I can implement some of the things I have learned in this course.

Hildie,

It sounds like you've really gained some useful information from this course and I want to acknowledge your application of the course material in the way you are using your advisory board. I'd like to hear from you after you have an opportunity to apply your new knowledge, please contact me through my e-mail address any time after you've completed the course.

Best wishes for success with your advisory board!

R. Roehrich

Thank you. I have really enjoyed the course. I will be conducting my next meeting in December and I will let you know if it is a success.

Service awards are the suggested easiest means of motivating board members continued support and vitality - - - we can certainly manage this type of recognition. Additionally, a 'retreat' at the center which houses our culinary arts classes might also be feasible - - - the culinary arts students can provide the meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner). This might not be an over-night retreat, more a day long event, nevertheless, it should provide the participants with a sense of appreciation.

We might also be able to manage what's called the "Miscellaneous Recognitions". Given our present limited budget, we can certainly, under miscellaneous, devise creative ways in which to make our board members feel appreciated.

Alessandra,

You “hit the nail on the head”, service awards are always appreciated, especially when professionally produced and accompanied with a small gift or token of appreciation. Often board members like to receive a school logo item to use in their business, e.g. a coffee mug, sweat shirt, etc.; these also serve to reinforce their commitment and loyalty to the school and further enhances their pride in serving on the board.

I also liked your idea of a 'retreat' at the center which houses your culinary arts classes. Culinary students always put on a good show and who doesn't like good food? This also provides a great opportunity to showcase one of your programs and your student's work, which may lead to additional networking opportunities for them.

R. Roehrich

I find it interesting that of our boards, the most dependable is the one that is getting its members involved in mock interviews, guest speaking and project evaluation. Clearly, that is a successful model that ideally will be emulated throughout all our programs. This formula has not only proven to be effective, but extremely cost effective (basically free – except for maybe a small gift or a lunch)!

In terms of recognition, I like the idea of providing the board members with goodies and gear bearing our logo. Not only will they see us regularly, hopefully it can open conversations that can lead to new students, successful graduates, promising jobs and exciting internships.

Josefer:

Glad to see that your “success processes” are consistent with those identified in the course; there's nothing like validation!

By applying the principles and practices you've learned in the course, you should increase the effectiveness and efficiencies of your advisory boards and enhance your school's success.

Best regards,
R. Roehrich

We have invited our advisory board members to graduation. In addition they have been given little goody bags with the Institutions mugs, pencils, pens, calculators etc. They have been invited to our holiday party.

I do like the idea of asking the members for participating in mock interviews for students and also inviting one or two for sharing their experiences with the students. In addition they can be given a certificate for their contribution to the Institution.

I also like the idea of honoring the contribution of a board member by creating an award named after them to be given to the student for the best achievement

Suhas,
It sounds like you've really embraced the recommendations in the course. Do you have any additional suggestions to add?
R. Roehrich

A plaque acknowledging the contribution of the board member at the end of the year would enable the member to display it in their work environment. In addition our institution organizes continuing education courses, and the board members are invited free of charge.

Suhas,

Thanks for your aditional contribution.

I'm sure you're practice of acknowledging board members with a plaque is well received; we all like to display evidence of professional accomplishment in our offices. It's a great way to demonstrate the school's appreciation for their service.

Your institution's approach to continuing education courses is both creative and innovative. I'd like to know if there is participaytion from your board members and what types of insight they gain about your school from the experience.

I commend your innovative approaches.

R. Roehrich

I am excited about asking board members to speak to classes too. Bringing them into the classroom will broaden their perspective of the school and help them feel more connected. Also, the benefit of having them share their real-world expertise with the students is something that cannot be measured.

Kathleen,

I'm glad you're excited about asking your board members to speak to your classes. What are some strategies and preparations you will suggest to your board members to prepare them to address your students?

R. Roehrich

I just sent simple "thank-you" notes to our members that particpated in mock interviews last week. Our members also participate in career fairs, guest speaking and community service events. They provide internships to students and help with project evaluations.

Annually, we honor the "Advisory Member of the Year" with a plaque.

Justin

I will be presenting our board members with a certificate of appreciation. This is also our tenth year in business, so I will place an appreciation ad in the trade magazine for our state and nation. I would not have thought of this action without this course. The ads are very cost effective. Since I am in the process of recruiting a new board, I will follow the advice of seeking diversity on my board along with the other suggestions.

Sign In to comment