Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Vitality, I believe can be described as energy. Momentum takes place when energy is used to get a certain result. Developing a fluidity, a willingness to develop a varied approach to challenges the board faces creates a symbiotic collaborative resolution. The word 'Bio' in Symbiotic means, 'energy', the life force of the body or in this case,the board.
In creating a cohesive, cooperative board, I feel it is important to value and appreciate each individuals contribution. Feeling valued supports an environment of growth and expansiveness.
Ways that I choose to support board members are through maintaining clear communication of such value. I also encourage developmental opportunities for board members eg. workshops, seminars and offsite meetings. When my budget does not allow for guest speakers, I tend to use a suitable individual from our college as lead for the event.
Recognizing and rewarding individuals with low cost rewards eg, massage at the college has proven to enhance a feeling of good spirit and connectedness within the board.

Michael,
Your post has captured the essence of the the type of "symbiotic" relationship that reinforces the commitment of an institution to its board, which in turn generates a return commitment from the board to the institution. Active and engaged boards are in fact, the life blood of an organization and if the organization conveys the type of respect you have illustrated, the board will outperform and exceed expectations. As you've stated, clear communications between the board and institution are essential and reinforce the mutual respect and a synergistic relationship. Conveying appreciation to board members cannot be underestimated and I suspect the massage your offer is a valued expression of that appreciation, which I'm sure generates an even stronger connection. I'm sure following the path you've alluded to in your post will continue to reap benefits in your future relations with your board members.
Best regards,
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I completely agree- Board members should have first-hand contact with the actual activities of the school, that will give them a clear context view that would enhance effectiveness of the board

Ignacio,
Absolutely, but they need to be able to respond to the issues in the proper context. This is why it's extremely important to have an effective board nominating and on-boarding process. In addition, both governing and advisory broads should receive regular updates in the institutional environment to be able to place their decision making in the most up-to-date context.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Providing door prizes that market our logo also keep dinner simple which also helps time management and cost.

Sign In to comment