Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Joyce,

Good plan, it appears that you're effectively internalizing the content of the course into a course of action.

R. Roehrich

Board members contribution can be highlighted in the institution's newsletter. This will recognize the members' efforts and also will inform the community of the people involved with the university.

We recognize our members through the presentation of awards and rewards, such as Certificates of Recognition/Appreciation, which is covered by local newspapers and TV, when possible (free publicity/advertising for the board member). We also hold an annual golf outing and provide for their attendance at a professional sporting venue (baseball, football, hockey, etc.).
With 95% of our programs (medical) requiring various lengths of externships, the advisors who are employed by the contracted sites have the advantage of evaluating a possible future employee at no cost to them. While allowing the institution to stay within its budget for placement activities, we also save money through the continual evaluation of student/curriculum by the sites.

Dr. Stover:

How long has your advisory board been together?

Can you quantify in any way the level of contribution they have made to your school?

For the past academic year (September-June), how many of your extern's have been employed by board members after completing their externship? At board meetings, are there discussions about the types of experiences your extern's should have and their success rates? How is this information assimilated and shared with pre-externship students?

R. Roehrich

Something I have done in the past is use one of the free spaces we get on print publications for getting a year contract and thank the members for their participation and list their names and companies. That way they see themselves in the paper and frame it if they want. I know some have. And it is free to the school.

I always send a thank you letter to each advisory board member for their attendance and participation in our meeting. Also, at each meeting we try to give a small gift (college mug, water bottle) and do a drawing for a bigger gift.

In addition to the above, I think it would be nice to implement a Certificate of Participation. This could be given at our second bi-annual meeting, for the number of years an advisory member has been with us and give them a free service from one of our programs. I also believe showing where the advisory's members advice was implemented in the program(s) would be great recognition.

I strongly agree with this. I will try this at my school.

Just remain focused on your goals.

Our college offers students to board members' facilities for hands-on-training. This provides the advisors firsthand observation of how effectively the students are trained and an opportunity for a lengthy working interview to the student. Likewise high student profiles demonstrate to the facilities' administrations the focused involvement of their staff members in the development of qualified staff. Personal recognition is achieved through certificates and plaques. Likewise spontaneous visits with gifts of sweets and coffee spotlights specific staff's efforts with the college. We are mindful advisory board members use their involvement with our college to further their professional development.

Along with the material in Module 4 there were some great comments in the forum here about different/creative ways to recognize board members. Since we are a very small school, my first thought had been that Service Awards would be the most effective way that our school could recognize and award a member, keeping within our budget. However, some of the other participants in this forum had great ideas. I really like the idea of utilizing free advertising space to highlight a member, and while thinking about this creative method I started to think about an e-newsletter that we circulate on a monthly basis to about 10,000 employers and industry related individuals. This could be a great way for us to "publicize" a special board member who deserved recognition.

We have recently included recognition of our board members ( a few at a time) during graduation ceremonies. We present them with an award of appreciation and ask them to share a few words with our graduating students and their families. This has proven to enhance the school's relationship with these professionals.

I had no idea so much was involved in the duties of director/advisory boards.Just starting up a small school, there are so many pieces, but by this training, insight has certainly been gained.

In order to keep board members engaged in the institution's activities, communication between meetings is imperative. One form of communication which does not encumber the member's time that may require travel to the school is the use of GoToMeetings.

John,

Good suggestion! Depending on the distance from the campus, "Go To Meeting" may or may not be an effective way to conduct your meetings. The value of the committee members visiting the campus to gain a feel for the environment, meet staff and see students is invaluable to their understanding of the mission and goals. If you used Go to Meeting or some other web-based meeting service, I would recommend that your virtual meetings not exceed one hour in total length and that your agendas be very purposeful and directed by a good facilitator, it's just too easy for people to "multitask" and get distracted in their offices.

Dr. Robert Roehrich

The information presented in module 4 has renewed my commitment to develop our Advisory Board. I especially liked the suggestion of asking Board Members to participate in mock interviews - this would work well in our Professional Development course. I think students will take the opportunity more seriously if someone other than the instructor conducts the interview. The Board Member as guest speaker suggestion would also work well in our environment. I can see where that opportunity would engage the Board Member and facilitate their commitment to the school by allowing direct interaction with students. One recognition method that wasn't mentioned is the inclusion of Board Member names in the Graduation programs. These programs are often kept as mementos by students and families, so the recognition of the Board and their contributions to the school has the potential to reach far into the community. I appreciate the forum and will use many of the suggested methods of Board recognition.

Carolyn,
One more suggestion, consider having your board members attend commencement exercises and have them hand out diplomas or offer congratulations to graduates as they cross the stage. Depending on the size of the graduating class, it could be divided up among the number of board members present.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I like the idea of service awards. Certificates and frames are inexpensive.

Presented at school functions in front of various stakeholder communities would be great. It doesn't cost anything to invite media, send news releases and include student groups in the ceremony.

Timothy ,
Absolutely, these types of events generate a lot of goodwill, especially if you acknowledge someone (involved with your school) as a contributor to the school and the community. Think about involving your local Chamber of Commerce or other civic minded organizations in these types of events.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Although effective, traditional retreats can be expensive. To keep in budget, take advantage of the effectiveness of retreats by holding the event locally, but in a manner that gives the sense that the board is a remote location.

Jeanne,
Absolutely! The goal to not only have an effective meeting, but to also demonstrate appreciation and respect to your board members.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment