Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

MIRIAM,
Yes, running a successful institution or any enterprise requires a plan. The plan can be modified based on results along the way. That is why it is important to build in "how are we doing" measurements. Information from surveys, observations, and other data help make improvements. When everyone understand the plan they will all work towards reaching your goals. thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

MIRIAM,
Interesting question about increasing enrollment. Sometimes we look for more ways to spend money. But what if you can increase qualified enrollment through word of mouth? That doesn't cost a lot. It does require a focus on student success. When students are happy and successful they will want to tell their friends and family about your school. Maybe they will even tell their employers that your school is a great place to train staff. Then you can reduce your marketing budget! Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I am involve in preparing our 5-year plan as we speak. The plan that I inherited was good for the past but lacks the vision needed to propel this institute into the future. We may be small and in the past those responsible prepared a plan with the limited resources of the past.

Now we have the staff in place that understands the meaning of having a continuous vision. A vision that keeps the MISSION of our institute in perspective not only in our commitment to our student body, our community but to ourselves.

We all share in the vision, its sacrifice and its outcome.

Arthur,

Good points Arthur. A Plan serves a lot of purposes, One is certainly an overall vision. Another includes the specifics like do you want to build programs to degree levels, is the school already a college, is there a need for your programs over time, which accrediting body supports your goals, and lots more. The result of a plan includes the vision, tasks, timelines, deadlines, staff, and of course how much is this all going to cost? We feel a plan needs to be reviewed several times a year, evaluated, and then updated. And of course everyone involved in the school needs to be updat4ed. Thanks Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Good morning,

My institution is very prospective and continuing
analyzing 5 year plans, and provide to all staff
with stimulus to improve as part of the constituency
as my self today.
I am just part of the staff, taking this course which is very interesting, specially its forums
I have similar ideas as you state, but projection
is quite excellent displayed
I think that attending student and staff needs related with institution increases the opportunity to succeed not only as grads and staff experience but the institution reputation among other advantages

Sincerely

Vidal Garcia

vidal,

You are right. A plan is very important and very challenging. It doesn't have to be complex. What is important is to get everyone involved in the school involved in the plan. In this way you will get a lot of good ideas that everyone agrees to. What is also important is to constantly evaluate results. What is happening and how do activities support your plan. What needs to be changed? What is working. A plan means that everyone on staff is working towards the same goal. Thanks for your comments. Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Yes. My institution just expanded, openning its first satellite campus. This process was not planned well leaving us underfunded, understaffed and in possession of an under utilized facility. The 2 people who planned the expansion were not with the institution when the expansion occured, and had one foot out the door during the planning process. Because of this, the first year of operations, while going incredibly well, has been more fly by the seat of your pants while gathering some useful data about our market and competition. A good 5 year plan would have laid out achievable steps to help guide growth and could have provided a safety net by identifying true budget numbers, faculty and facility needs. Since a plan is just a roadmap, making adjustments during implementation should be doable, although new paths to goals might need to be created. Reviewing the five year plan on a yearly basis allows the team to make changes while implementing.

Eric,
Wow. You said it all about the reasons to have a plan. Sometimes a five year plan sounds so daunting that people don't do it or do things on the fly, as you noted. Even on the fly if you put in evaluations of how things are going, you can save the day. Five year plans are good because sometimes to get to year 5 you have to plan a detailed path for years 1 to 4. Sometimes plans can be made project by project. We feel one can be creative with the rules.The key issue is to identify what you don't know, measure measure, make changes, and put timetables in place, especially when the right sequence of events is required. Sounds like you have lots to learn from the experience. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Yes, we have developed a comprehensive plan that was above our rescources. The plan was re-evaluated. The budget was re-evaluated and if it was determined that more money was needed in another area it was moved from less important areas. Basically a higer archy was set up with the plant to add in the other less important programs as the budgets would allow.

Joseph,
Plans and budgets are always a challenge to follow. Business sense tells us the plan must be right! But we think a plan is like a road map where we may find better routes as we are along the way. We think this points to constant evaluation and updates. How are things going? How can they be better? Is where we are going really the best place to be? Perhaps it gets your entire Team thinking and working together. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Yes we have been presented with a situation where we did not have sufficient capital to accomplish the outlined objectives. However, we found resourceful ways to accomplish our goals. A contingency plan is essential.

Gabriel,
It is interesting what a well thought-out plan accomplishes. As you indicate, it helps to point out the opportunities one never considered. It also points to obstacles and challenges. All these can be more easily addressed during the planning stage compared to being in the midst of deadlines. Plans also help to get a buy-in from everyone involved. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I've found with the institution I was at that strategic planning was an exercise that was only performed because it was a requirement of reaccreditation. My business experience has shown the advantages of creating plans and goals. it is vexing to work in an environment that is structured around a philosophy of considering change only when there is no other option.

Suellen,

Good points. A plan does have to work, be thought out, have buy in from everyone, be measurable, and constantly change. Regulatory requirements do tend to make it an exercise rather than a working document. (I didn't say that.) We think the best plans are fluid, dynamic, workable, and change often. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

We have never developed a true comprehensive plan. We have been re-active instead of pro-active in the past. We are looking to change that by developing a plan for the future. As far as contingencies included in the plan for us would be equipment purchases. If we reach a certain number of students we have to purchase this (not major capital equipment purchases) but smaller purchases to facilitate learning without overtaxing our instructor.

Jan,

Many schools and organizations don't plan because it seems like a huge undertaking. Sometimes it makes more sense to plan one department or one year at a time. Decide on something manageable to plan. Then work on it, practice planning skills and strategies, decide how and when you will evaluate how you are doing. You may find people on staff who love to plan and are happy to take over this project. It really is essential. Every entity and person, for that matter, needs a destination and road map to get here. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I've recently entered the education arena from the retail side of our industry. With that said, I found it fascinating the lack of urgency I encounter when I first arrived. Various months later and ample time for our new management team to affect productivity; we are actively shifting the paradigm. While I agree that planning is one of the most important pieces to attaining goals, allowing the buoyancy necessary to adapt our contingencies ensure success.

Jeanette,
Good points Jeanette. There probably is a lot to learn from the retail side of the career sector. Very important is customer service. It's the basic rule of building a business. In this case it is a focus on student success and satisfaction. Sometimes urgency has to be tempered when dealing with student enrollment. Sometimes a prospective student has to enroll when the time is right for them. Pushing enrollment when the individual isn't ready or has problems in their lives won't work and will result in student drop out. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I certainly felt that way when helping in the development of our Institutional affectiveness plan. Although this plan was only for the next year, it still seemed next to impossible when originally constructing the plan. However, after we started executing items in each department and meeting back together each month to discuss our progress, we were able to pull it off. Breaking it down to see the full picture is the key and is why a five year plan is so important.

Yes, our institution has planned "bigger" than the budget in the past. It puts a strain on individuals and departments. Our plans are typically flexible enough to adjust direction while staying on course to achieve the planned objectives. We may take a different path, but it's still toward the goal.

Sign In to comment