Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Strategic Plan

Has your institution ever developed a comprehensive plan that required more resources than the budget, personnel, or the facility could handle? What was the outcome (please do not discuss any proprietary or confidential information)? What contingencies might a strategic plan include to allow for adjustments as it is implemented?

Good Morning,

Yes, I have had to deal with this issue on more than one occusion. The outcome was always the same (hold off till later). The problem I have with that is that I was authorized to design and implement the new program. I have now decided to do more indebth research on the cost factor prior to presenting it to the powers that be. Giving a rounded off figure will not work in most presentation.

Hi Mark, Strategic plans are the underpinning of any organization. But strangely, plans are rarely given priority. It seems you are saying that you have been asked to design and implement a new program but perhaps don't know how it fits in with the overall plans for the school? Doing research to fill in the blanks is a good idea. And including a budget to implement the plan is vital. Good luck, Susan

We have developed a plan that required more resources than we could handle in our current state of affairs, but we have either revised the plan to accommodate what we had to work with or worked into the plan the additional resources we would need and when so that we are providing for them in order to meet our goals. That is part of the purpose of the plan - to identify whether additional facilities or personnel are needed and work that into your plan. With that being said, if goals are not being met once the plan is formulated, you have to make adjustments along the way as the plan should be a living, breathing document.

Very well stated, Mark. A plan is a working document. It promotes brain storming for new ideas and solutions. It identifies obstacles, challenges, and opportunities. A plan needs to be evaluated constantly so changes can be made. A plan helps list tasks, timelines, and deadlines. It's the basis for creating budgets, pro formas, marketing, and business plans. Sometimes a plan is set in stone for a long time. Some plans are good only until lunch! It's the process and concept of having a plan that's important. Thanks, Susan

Yes. There have been times when your long-term plans don't necessarily fit with short-term resources such as facility, personnel, equipment, etc. Part of the purpose of the five-year plan is to build those needs into the plan so that they can be budgeted appropriately when the time comes. Or, if additional facilities, for example, are not feasible and show as needed in the plan, then you have to rework your plan based on available anticipated resources. Once into the plan, you may find that population is larger or smaller than anticipated as well and you have to modify the plan accordingly moving forward. The five year plan should be a living, breathing document that is reviewed and updated regularly.

So well said, Mark. A plan shows that we have choices and options. Sometimes we forget that. Sometimes we think we are stuck with the ways things are going and forget that we can make changes. Sometimes strategies don't work. A plan helps to evaluate whether the concept is worthy and just needs to be handled better or really needs to be scrapped. We work with school owners who have great programs but enrollment is off. They want to scrap the program. Instead they might want to determine if they are running after the wrong market. They need to figure out what demographic should be enrolling in the program and then target ways to reach them. Yes, plans have to be living and dynamic. Thanks, Susan

It appears a good deal of consultant assisted planning was done to start the school just over 5 years ago. The school has gone through a number of waves of enrollment and a few changes in leadership. I was hired this month and see the need for a new 5 year plan. I am currently benchmarking the school's current state vs. several scenarios associated with projected growth milestones. The school is part of a larger business and as such any changes proposed for the school must be scrutinized for their potential impact on the company as a whole.

HI Douglas, You certainly have quite a challenge. Five year plans always need revisiting so it sounds like a wise choice to start with that. Actually we find that it's the planning process that is really important. If you involve the right representatives of the school you'll get a lot of great ideas. And when a plan is in place you can get feedback as to how sound it is. The right plan identifies opportunities, obstacles, tasks, timelines, deadlines, and budget. Ideally the plan is well researched with backup information so that any changes can be easily checked out. Good luck, Susan

We are currently working on a comprehensive institutional assessment and improvement plan. We are trying to achieve this through a continuous research, brainstorming and discussion meetings with our industry veterans to utilize their extensive experience. I am hoping that this course will give us the guidance in our efforts.

HI Alan
You are certainly on the right track. A comprehensive institution plan takes time and the input of all stakeholders including members of the community. It does start with a great deal of brainstorming with various groups and then all together. Thanks to email, chat rooms, and conference call rooms it is possible to get ongoing feedback without dragging everyone to a meeting. A key to success is to be open to all ideas. Some ideas are good for right now, others for later, and the rest for a time in the future. We suggest planning for 5 years. But the reality is if you can plan for 3 that's great. Then keep measuring how you are doing and make changes as needed. And if course put in the detailed activities and tasks to be sure the plan is "worked." Thanks, Susan

Mark,

Making smaller stages might be one way to get management to agree to the implementation of the plan. When I present a large project that I know will eat up most of the budget I look at those things within the project that cost the least and see if they can be implemented first. When the stakeholders see improvements then there is a better chance for more funding to be allocated to your project.

Douglas,

What did the consultants do differently than what you are doing now? Knowing their assumptions would help evaluate their plan against yours.

I am new to this campus, and currently working on a plan that includes expanding. It's interesting, doing this program is making me re-think the way I may want to present. I understand the importance of a long term plan, small doses may better fit the plans finacially.

Hi Christopher
You were assigned a huge task. Planning takes looking at where your school is now, the future vision - as in the next five years, and the steps to get there. You are lucky because you have the opportunity to learn the details of your school and the dreams of everyone there. Once you capture the information through meetings, research, and just talking with everyone, you'll be able to draft a plan with tasks, timetables,deadlines, budget, and most important - obstacles and opportunities. Good luck, Susan

Being a small college has its' advantages and disadvantages. On the positive side we are very close to the students and have a warm family environment and can implement change quickly. On the negative side cash flow is often an issue when implementing change. Our goals may be pushed to the next quarter or year, or reduced in scope.

While the plans are based on a proposed budget, enrollments may not support implementation. We have managed, over the years, to do incredible things with the physical plant as well as changes to the organizational and educational structures. Experience has taught me that nothing is "concrete" and flexibility, remaining open to different ways to accomplish the goal and holding on to the vision is paramount!

Hi Judith, Real words of wisdom. Wouldn't it be interesting if you could demonstrate that a successful and comprehensive placement department is an ideal way to increase enrollments? Placement success can be part of the admissions reps' presentations. Knowing that they will likely get jobs, students will have more motivation to stay in school. And having great placement training and great relationships with employers is a way to ensure high placement rates. And more students from the employers! Thanks Susan

Hi Susan,

My institution has increased our student enrollment by 56%. We've maximized our budget, staffing, and facility with this growth spurt. We are currently planning to grow by an additional 20% next year. Plans are in place as we prepare to relocate to a larger facility, higher new staff, while improving the quality of our program.

One of the most important contingencies our strategic plan must include is that we have identified sufficient, sustainable funding.

Thanks!

Hi Nadine
Very impressive growth success. Can you share with us how detailed your planning was to achieve these goals? Did you plan on 56% enrollment growth or did that surprise you? Who was involved in the planning phase? How are you modifying your plans for a 20% growth next year? Do you have a formula for how enrollments impact on location size, number of instructors, etc. Who monitors budget and progress? Can you share with us what you didn't plan for? Thanks, Susan

Actually, we did not plan on such a large jump in enrollment. In light of the current economy and increase in the unemployed in search of a new skill, we've seen a jump. We were able to add additional classes and increased services so that we can accommodate the student body. The entire training staff and instructor was involved in the planning. As we prepare for next year, we are strategically planning to increase staff and space so that we can support the growth. Our trainer to student ratio is 1:18...with that the course calendar for next year will be developed to support need and effective use of the classroom. We are also preparing to hire new staff and faculty. Our budget is monitored by our fiscal team and program director.

What we didn't plan for is how this year's growth, affects our student over the the next 5 years. If we stay on track we can potential reach our 5th year goal in 3 years.....a great motivator!

Sign In to comment