Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Laurel, absolutely! Setting small, manageable goals will certainly help you as you move forward with your new position.

Shannon Gormley

Laurel, this is great! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you have different targets and then use the smaller goals to achieve those, while checking in to review and evaluate if the goals still fit. Do I have that right?

Shannon Gormley

I can completely relate to you Frank. I do find that I get caught up in the daily to-do lists in terms of managing the everyday grind type tasks in both my professional and personal life. This course has motivated me to pursue some of the goals I have for myself in both my professional and personal life by giving me a method to do so. Simply having a goal and then thinking about it is not enough. Having something tangible to refer to in addition to periodic self-assessment of the reasonable and smaller achievments that I plan to accomplish make my goals seem less daunting. Also, knowing that I can leave a bit of wiggle room to make changes to my plan, with the ultimate goal (s) still in mind, makes it more reasonable and more plausible.

Judi,
Thanks for your insights. It can be difficult to keep your own goals in sight when your day to day tasks pull you in multiple directions. Knowing your goal is one thing, but writing that goal down as well as the necessary steps needed to achieve your goal is another. Having your goal and action items on paper and within your view everyday allows you the opportunity to assess where you are in terms of achievement, adapt the timeline, action items, or even the goal (if necessary), and celebrate your wins along the way! Best of luck to you as you work to accomplish your professional and personal goals!

Dr. Jean Norris

Whenever I have something planned out and actually written down it helps me to focus on that plan better. That basic practice is a good start. I usually refer back to it often and try to use in my every day managing. So I think creating this Plan will help me achieve better results by staying focused on it. It's always good to have something to strive for as well and I think the plan will remind me to stay on point and to work with my personal leadership goals in mind on a day to day basis. Whenever my work life runs smoother, my personal life usually follows :)

Thank you for sharing your insights, Jeannine. Writing down your goals and keeping them in front of you definitely has a way of helping us maintain focus on those goals. It sounds like you've created a plan for yourself and are using that plan as a framework to guide your day to day decisions and keep on track to achieving your goals. Congratulations!

Dr. Jean Norris

I believe a PLDP not only helps you work toward a goal but also helps with time managment. It helps set prioritizes since you can not always achieve certain steps until you have done previous steps.

Christal ,

Yes! It can be extremely helpful to identify priorities for focus...and in turn where one spends their time. Thanks so sharing Christal!

Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment