Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Emotional Intelligence Quotient is defined as a set of competencies demonstrating the ability one has to recognize his or her behaviors, moods, and impulses, and to manage them best according to the situation. Typically, "emotional intelligence" is considered to involve emotional empathy; attention to, and discrimination of one's emotions; accurate recognition of one's own and others' moods; mood management or control over emotions; response with appropriate (adaptive) emotions and behaviors in various life situations (especially to stress and difficult situations); and balancing of honest expression of emotions against courtesy, consideration, and respect (i.e., possession of good social skills and communication skills).

motional intelligence (EQ) is the ability to identify, use, understand, and manage emotions in positive ways to relieve stress, communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome challenges, and defuse conflict. Emotional intelligence impacts many different aspects of your daily life, such as the way you behave and the way you interact with others.

If you have high emotional intelligence you are able to recognize your own emotional state and the emotional states of others, and engage with people in a way that draws them to you. You can use this understanding of emotions to relate better to other people, form healthier relationships, achieve greater success at work, and lead a more fulfilling life.

identifying the other persons aptitudes

every aspect of emotional intelligence helps build the development of being a skilled leader. if i had to choose one that would be most important to me in building leadership it would have to be relationship management. being able to communicate and ispire and work well with others are great qualities to have in building development in leadership.

Nora, Wow, what a great explanation! So what importance does this play in your professional and personal life?
Dr. Jean Norris

Cheyla, Thank you for sharing. How come it's important to identify this in others?
Dr. Jean Norris

David, Well said! Thank you for sharing!
Dr. Jean Norris

Daniela, I couldn't agree more. Listening and paying full attention to the person that is speaking to you as if they are the only person in the room is a relationship skill needed by leaders. This skill helps those around us feel needed and a part of the team if you are engaging with them as a leader or coworker.

I would have to say that Self Management Skills are very important because you have to know your self and what motivates you to succeed. I also feel that Relationship Skills are very important as well. You have to be able to build a relationship with others so that you can motivate them to succeed.

Kathy, Agreed. To make a successful relationship, it takes awareness and continued skill building of both.
Dr. Jean Norris

A few i see as being important to a leader. First is to not allow our personal feelings/opinions cloud our judgment when listening to our employees feedback and taking that feedback into consideration when making a decision.

Being able to truly listen to our employee's needs/wants so we can actually assist them as well as support their growth.

Learning our employee's, not two are the same and not two can be handled the same. Different communication techniques maybe needed to communicate with different employees.

I believe that being able to engage with your employees is a vital part to allowing emotional intelligence to shine through. Sometimes they need to develop the skills with our help and guidance.

Jessica, That, sometimes, is the biggest part of being a manager!
Elizabeth Wheeler

I believe listening to your staff is being a good leader.

Kimberly, That is definitely one attribute of a good leader. What are some other attributes?
Elizabeth Wheeler

I feel that the aspect of building relationships through empathic listening is the most important to leadership development. By truly listening to employees with the intent to really understand from their frame of reference, there are several benefits. First, the employee knows you care and that you are making the effort to understand their point of view. Secondly, as you build relationships and listen empathically, you learn how they learn and communicate. This helps the leader tailor communication to the employee's individual style, making communication more effective. By using the techniques commit, clarify and summarize, the leader focuses on the employee and takes the time necessary to really understand and address the employee's concerns and feelings.

I have to agree with both Dave and LeAnn. By knowing our own strengths and weaknesses, we can move forward. If we are not aware of weaknesses, we never change or progress. By knowing our strengths, we can capitalize on them and use them to advantage.

Nora, I love your explanation of EQ! Being able to recognize your own emotional state and those of others in a way that draws them to you is key in leadership!

Sign In to comment