Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

June,

How long has your current leadership team been in place and what have been the key elements to creating the inclusive culture you have described?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

June,

Hard to balance taking care of the here and now but still taking time to step back from the day to day to see the bigger picture and necessary changes in strategy. As we have more information coming at us now then ever before, increasingly important to take time to reassess previous decisions and directions more often and with flexibility as change is occuring at an accelerated rate.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

When I think of traits of strategic thinking, I think about Kenneth Blanchard's work in leadership studies. Blanchard describes the difference in having concern for people versus concern for production. One of the skills that is important in strategic thinking is balancing this concern for people vs production. Strategic thinking involves making sure both conerns are kept in check.

Dr. Faulkner,
I think communication skills are among the most important traits one can possess to exhibit strong strategic thinking abilities. If you cannot effectively communicate, you cannot be an effective leader. That said, a strong strategic thinker should also be realistic in his or her mindset. Someone once told me a strong strategic thinker must be "realistic to determine the art of possible".

Dr. Faulkner and Erin,
I think buy-in from employees can make or break the success of your strategic plan. I think one way to gain buy-in is to solicit staff input from the beginning while the plan is still in development. I try to truly listen to staff feedback because this will give them a sense of ownership.

I believe that it is paramount for a strategic thinker to be able to have a set of core values that are in line with the goals of the organization. You must be an individual with "thick skin" as well because there will be times when your ideas are not well received, but you must go back and determine an alternate method in order to accomplish the task at hand. When thinking strategically, one must be able to determine a viable pathway in order to successfully execute the plan. As someone once said, A goal without a plan is just a wish.

Dr. Faulkner, it's so easy to allow the daily crises to force us into focusing all our time and energy on the problems of today. Strategic thinkers understand that solving today's challenges without planning for tomorrow's is perhaps a recipe to win the battle at the cost of losing the war.

While discussed, I think that communication and clarity are some of the most important leadership characteristics needed in strategic thinking.

So often I find that after a meeting where everyone is "on board" with a new paradigm, after a few days, the same people forget what/how/when their contribution is needed and desired. It took a few tries, but I began taking minutes each meeting, outlining decisions, and clarifying what conclusions were made. These minutes get sent out within 24 hours, and include a backward planning calendar to each individual.

Moreover, and as a happy unintended consequence, the minutes are shared with entire teams, and any unforeseen issue can be dealt with much faster.

In short: Communication (that goes broad) and clarity are excellent characteristics that promote strategic thinking.

Elizabeth,

Good point. I think in higher education we are undergoing changes that healthcare and other industries have gone through previously and continue to adapt to. I use healthcare as an example in that I see a similar balance required between improving efficiency of services while at the same time improving effectiveness and quality of care. Currently in higher education the need for both greater efficiency and effectiveness are required. Keeping student outcomes and student satisfaction (as well as those of other constituents such as employers and society as a whole) at the center of our decision making processes helps to ensure that changes and improvements we make increase not only efficiency, but also the effectiveness and quality of education and services that we provide. Like health care, the decisions we make in higher education impact "peoples lives" and we have a responsibility to ensure we are making the right decisions to not only increase efficiency but also to increase the effectiveness of the education and services we provide in meeting the needs of our constituents.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Carl,

Good points. Intentionally allocating appropriate time to both is essential.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Angela,

Insightful point. Those involved in operationalizing a strategy should be involved in the strategic thinking and planning processes as much as possible. Not only does this increase buy-in but in many cases those closest to those we are serving often have some of the most insightful solutions and ideas.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Shannon,

Good points. The mission, institutional goals and core values of the institution should guide planning and decision making across the organization.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Patricia,

I love this approach. I would love to see your backwards planning calendar. This approach appears to drive accountability and follow-up to ensure implementation occurs. The gap between "idea" and "execution" is often significant and I think your approach helps bridge this gap. Who is responsible for what and by when are important pieces to this.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

There are many characteristics that are needed in leaders when it comes to strategic leadership. Many of them are mentioned in the discussion already and of course presented in the course itself. Personally, I believe one of the key ones is thinking creatively and “outside the box.” One of the traps I see a lot of our functional mangers falling in is the process of “doing it this way because we have always done it this way.” I love the idea presented in the course that encourages us to reserve time to be creative. It is easy for us as Campus Leaders to be reactive and solve every problem or issue the pops up within our busy days. However, if we can do what is suggested and take time to sit and think creatively to solve some of the issues it could possibly prevent them from occurring frequently. Reminds me of the saying “Always do what you’ve always done and you will always get what you always got.”

I mentioned to someone that it was easy to run a campus 4 or 5 years ago when enrollment was at an all-time high and life was good. The time that really calls upon your strategic leadership is when enrollment is slow and/or down compared to the level we are used to operating at. That is when we have to be able to forecast accurately at understand what levels we can operate at to support the current population of students. We can’t always be proactive and predict the future. However, when we begin to notice negative trends or changes in our environment that is the time think creatively and strategically in order to ensure long-term success for our units and organization as a whole.

Be an open minded leader, try to focus on long term results combined with not hurting short term results. Also, keep in mind that in strategic thinking, for me is, and I quote Lt. Col. Hal Moore on this "three strikes and you are not out! - always find a better solution".

TJ,

Very well said and some great examples. I think that what we learn working through challenging times are some of our greatest learning moments in strategic leadership. I would add however that there can be a sense of complacency when all is going well that many times gradually erodes optimal institutional effectiveness. Being disciplined when times are good and taking time for strategic thinking to step back to see what lies ahead and what is happening in the macro-environment is paramount to addressing potential downturns proactively versus reactively. I think one of the challenges in all organizations is that change is occuring more rapidly then ever before which requires more time for strategic thinking then traditional strategic planning cycles may have required.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Arturo,

Good point. There is always next at bat! How do you balance assuring short term results without sacrificing long term sustainable results?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I think some of the most important leadership traits to strategic thinking are mental flexibility, creative thinking, and pragmatism.

It is important to be able to think outside of the box when coming up a strategy. Getting other stakeholder's opinions and being open to changing your mind is essential to making the best decisions possible.

Finding creative solutions to existing problem is also important. Challenge the status quo. Is our current process in place because it is the best process or is it just how we have always done it.

Pragmatism or the ability to stay grounded in the reality of the situation is also important. Creating practical implantation for creative ideas is necessary to create lasting change.

Darcy,

Important points you make. Successful innovation occurs when creativity (a great idea) is successfully implemented. There are alot of creative ideas and creative people/organizations that have difficulty executing. Those that are true innovators have made this important connection.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I agree that some form of leadership can cultivate strategic and creative thinking. I work in an environment with no leadership and no consequences for not being a team player. Having said that all employees will list what they won't do on a daily basis.

Sign In to comment