Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe that courageous leadership is a key element to strategic thinking - it allows one to operate with confidence and conviction rather than fear and anxiety. Strategic thinkers should be able to have the courage to trust both themselves and their direct reports.

Additionally, this training course discussed the need for the strategic thinker to be able to communicate what they won't do rather than what they will. This type of thinking, of having the courage to assert one's own voice, can assist a leader in their strategic thinking.

Theodora,

Very good insight. Abraham Lincoln, who had a few tough situations to deal with was quoted as saying that most decisions he had to make we're wholly good or wholly bad. His job was to find the best decision possible. This takes courage and the further one rises in leadership roles the consequences of these decisions are greater. Do you have any examples of courageous decisions you have had to make recently or have seen others make?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Theodora,

Please note that the quote is actually "decisions he had to make were neither wholly good or wholly bad."

Our first term freshman students must take a Freshman Success course. During the very first class meeting, I make a presentation that includes an analysis of traits that they should display or should develop that will set them on a course to be successful in college. Interestingly enough, curiosity is one of those. For long term success, curiosity helps to maintain a freshness as well as to continually seek more information that could ultimately benefit you or your organization.

I learned a long, long time ago, that flexibility is necessary for strategic thinking. Even the most well laid plans must occasionally be altered.

I particularly liked the quote by Nietzsche found in this class that "The future influences the present just as much as the past". Strategic planning must have the element of future focus.

I think that positivity is necessary in all endeavors. Strategic thinking is no different. Negativity brings everyone down; whereas, a positive outlook can be infectious!

Openness is definitely important. I also believe that confidence is important for openness to be achieved. This is the case simply because openness can create vulnerability. The participants must be confident in themselves in order to project ideas. They must also be confident in their leader knowing that he/she will not take advantage or abuse anyone because of the openness.

Last but not least is breadth.

James,
Nicely done! A lot of very good points. I particularly like your thought on the need to maintain an environment of trust where people feel comfortable being open and collaborative. How do you think we could best develop these traits in our students? Important skills and something I have been giving more thought to. Interested to hear your ideas?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

My experience has been at a college where the largest classes typically do not exceed 35. Some classes are half that size or less. This gives me the opportunity to speak to this subject based on small classes. I wouldn't know how to respond to this question in relation to classes of 100 and more.

Having said that, I think trust can be built with students among themselves as well as with the instructor. The process must begin early in the term. I would say that one important consideration would be to spend part of the class time in small groups of 3-5 students. These groups will discuss among themselves a proposition from the instructor. Once they have had ample time to discuss, they each respond "publicly" to the rest of the class. The moment the instructor responds with feedback that embarrasses anyone, trust has not been nourished. Instead, the instructor must be skilled in engaging the students with follow up questions, perhaps in a Socratic method, in order for the group to refine their response. Ultimately trust will be facilitated through the instructor.

In addition to opportunities to build trust in the classroom, an engaging instructor will encourage his/her students to approach him/her after class and during hours the instructor has "office hours".

Finally, the instructor who is spending time engaging students within a completely different context, say after other classes for which he/she is not responsible or in campus sponsored social events, is building a relationship with students. Upon this relationship, trust can take root.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I am not one who believes that an instructor is paid only to teach a class. His/her responsibility is to impact students!

James,

Appreciate your ideas and insights. I think you ate right that treating students with respect and in a professional manner helps model and instill these behaviors in them. Appreciate you looking at applying strategic thinking concepts to the organization but also the classroom.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

A great strategic thinker is passionate about what they do, they have the ability to move out from their comfort zone and think outside the box, they are life-long learners, and they have the ability to develop long term vision.

I think there are many qualities but I feel a strategic thinker has no fear of the unknown or where his/her thinking will take them. Moreover, strategic thinking has to be ingrained in the manner in which you approach all decision-making otherwise it will be only be internalized as an adjunct to your internalization psyche. Furthermore, strategic thinking has to resonate with your own perceptions of "common sense" and pass the "gut check". Both of these aspects were not presented fully in the materials. That is, you will not agree to new directions/approached/trade-offs without feeling they pass your own gut check that they are "right" to do. This internal "alarm" is what you develop over time with experiences and "scrapped" knees and from failures which are key important lessons in life never to be downplayed. Those who do not learn from failure are doomed to repeat it. I will refer to Harry S. Truman who was said to have remarked, "The only thing about the future we do not know is the history we have not read."
As far as critical thinking, below is some material I use that defines it for me.
What is critical thinking:
The What*:
--Healthy skepticism
--Confidence - - not arrogance
--Judgement which is critical—not dismissive
--Opinions—w/o being opinionated
--Having a voice—not “sounding” off
--Being respectful—not obsequious
--Careful evaluation of published works
--Being “fair”assessing “fairly”
--strengths & weaknesses w/o bias or prejudice
--Having your own standpoint & values wrt an argument
--Making judgements based on considerable thought & evidence - - not assertions w/o reasons
--Putting forward recommendations and conclusions, understanding limitations not apologetic

*Wellington, J., Bathmaker, A., Hunt, C., McCulloch, G., & Sikes, P. (2005). Succeeding with your doctorate. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications Inc. , p.84

Robert ,

Excellent points. I particularly like the guide for critical thinking that you use. Well done.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Some of the personal leadership characteristics that are important to strategic thinking in an organization are: empathy, leading by example,trustworthiness, and ethics.

Too often organizations today downsize, outsource, and re-structure their operations, drastically impacting workers' employment experience and customer's product/service experience while managers hide behind a mantra of 'It's just business'.

The best companies--Southwest Airlines, Starbucks, Costco, to name a few-- are led by executives and managers willing to think about the workforce implications of their strategic plans with the same level of intensity as their other strategic processes.

The worst--United Airlines, General Motors, Walmart, to name a few--care little about the implications of their strategies for customers or employees who have been laid-off, underpaid and overworked for years, all in the name of 'It's just business'. Meanwhile, revolving door CEO's pay themselves and their management teams handsomely in the process.

What sort of message does that send about their strategic priorities? Talking the talk only goes so far in ensuring the success of one's strategic initiatives. You've got to walk the walk too.

You need to have an open mind and be willing to listen to ideas that other people have, whether they are in the company or outside. They may not even be in the direct field. But an idea can formulate into something great if it is considered and put into a brain storming session.

You need to have a vision of the outcome before you can put the plan into place. You also have to be willing to go with the flow if changes are necessary. Don't be stubborn and say this is the plan we must stick to it, because many times as the plan evolves the changes are a part of the growth process that make the company successful.

Amy,
I think you have hit on some important characteristics, values and elements of organizational culture. I think Jim Collins research that is reflected in his book Good to Great and in subsequent publications reinforce much of what you are talking about that is common among successful companies. Good and important insights!

Dr. Blake Faulkner

THERESA,

Very insightful thoughts. I particularly like your thoughts in regards to listening and observing those in other industries. I have noticed many parallels between the significant changes healthcare has been faced with that those of us in higher ed. can learn a great deal from as we face similar disruptive change. Also, agree with your point that change is occuring at an accelerated pace and thus strategy is much more dynamic and fluid then it has been in the past. Those that can adapt to change and make necessary corrections and changes are highly valued. However,in studying those organizations that experience success over a long period of time, they have leaderhsip that couples dynamic strategic thinking with a strong commitment to their mission and values that helps provide stability and a "north star" for the organization. Without this many organizations become reactive and lose direction. Hope you are enjoying the course!

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I think that being smart and courageous is very important; however, I think that in order to be an effective strategic thinker, the leader must have a very strong set of values and ethic.

One can understand what is the right thing to do, but unless the person has the right make up, information can be used in many ways.

German,

Very good point. There are many difficult decisions confronting leaders and as Abraham Lincoln was often quoted as saying "the choices I have in making a decision are neither wholly good or wholly bad." In essence, our job as leaders is to make the best decision possible for all stakeholders involved." Having a clear ethical and values based foundation helps guide leaders in consistently making the best decision for all stakeholders, preserves personal integrity as well as organizational integrity. If the spirit of intent is always in the right place most people can respect the final decision that a leader must make.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I think that an objective approach to strategic planning--one based on metrics and analysis is most helpful when charting the course of an organization. Providing clear goals and a path to achieve them is sound strategy.

Nathaniel,

I agree. Key performance indicators help ensure alignment and prioritization of initiatives with the organizations goals and also provide a means to determine if the planned initiatives had the desired impact. Doing a cross impact analysis during the planning process to take proposed initiatives and objectively rank their level of impact on key performance indicators is an important part of the planning process to ensure alignment and helps with prioritization. Data to inform the decision making process is also an important element in that it takes some of the subjectivity out of the process. That being said, there ultimately are judgement calls that strategic leaders have to make where the answer may not be clear. The strategic thinking process discussed in this course helps leaders in making these strategic choices.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

One of the kills that's important is flexibility and positive outlook.

Theodora

I could not agree with you more nice job.

Troy

Sign In to comment