Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In his book Rethinking the Future, Rowan Gibson stated that "those who stay ahead of the change curve, constantly redefining their industries, creating new market, blazing new trails, reinventing the competitive rules, and challenging the status quo" are going to be the leaders of the future (Gibson, 2002). I think that the strategic thinker has to be an observer and have imagination. Additionally, I believe that strategic thinkers need to be inclusive, connected, and have enthusiasm about the future. Finally, strategic thinking leaders need to be critics, optimists, mobilizers, and implementers.

Aleksandra,

Rethinking the Future is a wonderful book. What do you think Rowan Gibson would say today (2014) about the "strategic thinker". Do you think it would be the same or do you think anything has changed that he (or you) would add or delete from those characteristics identified above?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

There’s too many to choose from! But I will mention the following:

1. Courage – being able to think of a system rather than a single area, requires courage because you have to discard elements of personal ambition, assumptions, and limitations as to experience “the big picture”. That’s tough to do and requires courage, faith in the Self, and vision of a slightly intangible point later in the path. In some cases, it can be nerve-wracking, but no matter, courage is required.

2. The ability to paceset—I am a huge supporter of the idea that a leader must also paceset when engaging in any sort of strategic thinking or its implementation. Pacesetting not only raises morale, it instills faith into followers because the leader can “walk the walk” as well as “talk the talk”. (Only if we could teach that to politicians…) Also, being able to get your hands dirty as a leader via example also gives insight into the field level sources of information which may be lacking from the initial strategic planning effort. I’ve found that has paid off in past efforts—in surprising ways.

Those are my two big things I really like to see from a strategy-orientated leader. Both should be tempered by education, wisdom, and experience—as well as compassion. Such human qualities make a strategy viable, accepted, and fair. Thus, I wish to add one more characteristic—compassion. We are only people and people need to have compassion as to grow and achieve. Any strategic thinker should also have that floating about the back of their mind while considering alternatives.

Steve

Steven,

Good thoughts. Can you clarify further on what you mean by pacesetting and an example you have experienced tht demonstrates a good example of it at its optimal?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

A strategic thinker is one who is curious, involves others in the thought process, gathers factual information, focuses on the future, not just the here and now, considers all constiuents in the decision making, and finally a strategic thinker continually, as course content suggests, to brodens their knowledge and experience.

I think that you have to possess the ability to be flexible and entertain other peoples ideas, even if they seem far from what you are looking for, in order to visit all parameters of the idea. A strategic leader is also someone who understands the company's visions and missions and is able to make good strategic decisions while still maintaining the integrity of the company.

I believe integrity is a major characteristic if you are a leader. To be an effective leader you have to build trust with your team so they know you will lead them to success. Whether you are in an organization or on a sports team for that matter you have your leaders and if your leaders are not trustworthy then your team will not follow which will result in failure.

June,

You have nicely described key characteristics of a strategic thinker. Have you worked with a leader that you felt exhibited these attributes and if so can you provide an example?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Cynthia,

Where do you see your strengths and weaknesses as a strategic thinker?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Joe,

Agree that integrity and trust are integral to effective leadership and healthy organizations. What other characteristics/attributes have you seen in strong strategic thinkers you have worked with?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Cynthia,

I agree that a leader that is a strategic thinker needs to listen to other people's ideas, but I also think that the strategic thinker/leader needs to be able to get other people to believe in solutions and strategies that they have created. A strategic thinker not only creates plans and strategies that will improve the company, but also coordinates their plans and strategies with the buy in for their employees as well.

A leader must have the intellectual capacity to see their companies as one big unit, and more importantly the relationships within the departments, particularly how decisions and actions in one functional area affects other areas of the organization. A leaders decision making process, how he/she allocates available resources, and their creativity – or ability to inspire teams to be creative – are critical elements of a creative thinker.

Erin,

You have touched on a very important point. How do you best develop buy-in from employees?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Miguel,

Good points. How do you create a culture of creativity in your organization?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

As a result of completing the LEARN portion of this module, I have a much higher level of understanding as to what the necessary traits/skills of a Strategic Thinker involve. One way in which I now recognize an area of immediate personal improvement is in the ability to be more proactive than reactive, more flexible opposed to rigid, and to be keenly aware of the importance of inclusion of all levels of constituents during the planning process.

Robert:

I particularly like your critical thinking extended definitions. Great reminder that I now have printed and retained on my "strategic thinking" list of best practices! Thank you for sharing.

My company's current leadership exudes these attributes. Notice I stated "current leadership" I did not identify one leader, validating my point the example of inclusion is evident; it takes a village. The mere fact Campus Leaders are now required to complete this course demonstrates organization inclusion and thoughtful consideration to their key decision makers. What better way to have buy in than to enhance our level of strategic awareness through this class exposure!

I always value the opinions, feedback, and presented solutions of others. I do find myself being less patient than I desire and I have to admit I concentrate more on the "here and now" than I do the future.

June,

Appears you were able to self reflect on areas for personal improvement. Commend you for doing so. Involving constituents at all levels of the organization in the planning process increases both better decision making and buy-in when it comes to operationalizing and implementing initiatives.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

June,

Agreed. Robert has provided reference to a great additional reference related to critical thinking.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Sign In to comment