Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dale,
Your frustration is quite evident. When working with leadership that doesn't match your philosophy or style increases the stress you may feel. If you have attempted to professionally express yourself with no avail it is time to do some reassessment of your situation, It there is no light at the end of the tunnel it may best to move on to a better match in leadership styles more conducive to your thinking. I wish you luck with finding the Leadership you aspire to serve.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Well, its a tough economy so one needs to be careful about just packing up and moving on. A lot of our change is not generated from a internal review of what we can do better as a business, but from external reporting demands. As such even the upper management is not particularly inspired by the idea of change, but recognize it as necessary. Since they are not inspired, much of what we do degenerates down to just processes to complete paperwork in a timely fashion without much care to what is documented. These continuing education courses, for example, are required to be in my file, but there is no follow through to see if we are implementing what we learn. It is very frustrating, and I have tried to make the work as relevant as possible.

Robert,
Change with explainable purpose is a very convincing for your people to grasp the ownership of the change.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Dale,
Implementation and practice by you can be a personal achievement of a contribution to the purpose of your job. I never needed to consider if the management would see what I learned but if it was for the betterment of the company achievement to a higher goals I would put it into practice.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Dale,
Implementation and practice by you can be a personal achievement of a contribution to the purpose of your job. I never needed to consider if the management would see what I learned but if it was for the betterment of the company achievement to a higher goals I would put it into practice.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Before taking this course I definitely was a change blocker. I was very resistant to change, figuring do not fix what is not broken. After reading all of the data and personal views, I realized that change is good and can greatly influence the status of my school. Coworkers ideas both blockers and resistors can be utilized to create the energy needed to make a valuable change for the betterment of all concerned.

Laurel,

Change is a constant for improvement. It is important to make sure change is accomplished by cautious planning and listening to your team. It may come to you to move change forward.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I am definitly a change agent. I am always recognizing ways things can be done better and this typically involves change. I am learning how to effect change better. I will certainly use the skills and strategies discussed in this course. However, the information in this course is so valuable. Having strong leadership is a must just as involving everyone at all levels. is also imperative. It is amazing how some cannot see the need for change in some areas where as for me it it is so obvious.I'll admit I could slow down. I appreciated the information on realizing that it will not happen overnight.I am in the process of applying more of these skills.

Ellen,

You are on target with your omments. The secret is consistency.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I do consider myself a change agent. I always approach change optimistically and look at the positives that can come out of it. I try to share my excitement with my team while also taking into account their concerns. While changing processes that have been in place for a long time can be challenging, once buy in is established along with curiosity, change can be fun and productive. You do need to "check in" with yourself though to not let pride take over, if some piece of the process is not working, you have to be honest with yourself and make approrpiate corrections along the way. Change is the only constant and necessary to survive. As a leader, if you approach it with curiosity, usually so will your team (as long as you have established respect and credibility)

Good question! I had never really considered it before, but maybe a little bit of both, depending on the circumstances.

Steve,

If you don't like change you are not in today's world. Change is a constant with our technology world today. Net generation people are thriving on it.

Dr. Gary Carlson

James ,

Change can be a better future, Change is only good if you can see the positive side that lends itself to making something better now and for the future.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I would consider myself a change agent. I have gone through many changes within our organization while I have been employed. Some of these experiences have been as an employee and many while in a management position. These changes have come due to different needs such as either technology or regulatory changes. I feel that if I have a clear understanding of why the change is necessary it helps me wrap my arms around how to get to the desired goal. Knowing your team members strenghts and having them involved in the process helps them work through the challenges and they can embrace the changes knowing they have had input. Listening to their concerns can also bring to light to items that may have been overlooked or placed lower on the priority needs that should be moved up higher on the list. Cultural changes can be the most difficult because they have to deal with core values that align with your morals when hired

Jerry,
Change is the norm today. We all need to embrace change or we will be in deep distress. You have approached in correctly. The real challenge is to help your staff to embrace and own the change. Change can be fun with the ability to improve any work situation. Knowledge of the change helps all of us to understand the necessity to change.

Gary

Dr. Gary Carlson

I consider myself a change agent when given the opportunity to plan and participate in the decision process. I become a change blocker when I am not informed of why the change is needed and I have no input into how the change is to be implemented. I also become a change blocker when the changes are for purely monitory reasons and not consider the out come in the long run.

Henry,
Change is a factor of our lives today. The change is a thing we can do when we think it through without conveying negativity to someones creativity. Before we shelve it we can prove it as a great idea or one that may not be its time to implement.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I believe it does depend on the type of change involved and also who is leading the change. If the leader of the change is someone I trust and respect and I feel change is needed then I am likely to be a change agent. If the change is led by someone that has proven to be untrustworthy and ineffective and I feel the change is unnecessary, then I may be more likely to be a change blocker.

Crystal,
I applaud your analysis. Leaders with poor ethics and lack of understanding of their people is an accident waiting to happen.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I always look forward to positive change. I do not however like change just because someone new takes over.

Sign In to comment