Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Change Agent or Change Blocker?

Do you consider yourself a change agent or a change blocker? Why? Does it depend on the type of change involved?

In general, I would consider myself to be a change agent but I do think it depends on the situation and the type of change involved. I try to be open to change and usually after some careful consideration and an understanding of why the change is necessary and what the benefits are of the change, I am more than willing to jump on board and do what is necessary to successfully implement the changes. I think the situations where I would consider myself to be a change blocker is when, after my careful consideration, I am unable to see the benefits of the change. If I do not think the changes are necessary or beneficial, I tend to have a hard time adapting.

I CONSIDER MYSELF A CHANGE AGENT. ALL CHANGE COULD BE CONSIDER POSITIVE IF IT PROVES TO IMPROVE THE WORK QUALITY.

IN ORDER TO MAKE IMPROVEMENT ONE MUST BE WILLING TO ADAPT TO CHANGE.

I DO AGREE.... IF CHANGE IS NECESSARY FOR THE SUCCESS OF A BUSINESS... THERE'S NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE THAN TO IMPLEMENT THE CHANGE.

The ingredient for change is the ability to understand the direction that is necessary. Your ability to be a visionary and be a leader that can direct the necessary changes. Careful research and creating a team to be the catalyst for change. Change is not for change sake! Change is for the future.

Refer to "Creditability" by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Pozner. To be a change agent you need to understand how to obtain creditibility.

I consider myself a change agent in most situations, but refrain from encouraging "change for change sake."
A change must have a reason that improves or enhances process, policies or overall outcomes.
No growth in a company can occur without change so those that want to thrive in the workplace must see change as a challenge and opportunity. I belive first identifying the problem is the single most important factor in implementing and leading through change.
If one cannot identify the problem, than one may want reconsider the need for the change.

The challenge is finding out what the variables may be that is causing the unwanted outcomes. Change is the remedy or the culprit. Many times the solution with a change agent may not be the right answer. But, you can always go back to the drawing board. From every solution that doesn't work you can draw more information to create your next step to the workable outcomes. It takes time to fine tune change for solutions into the best possible outcomes. The secret to fine tuning is not to give up when you are getting close and you don't always know when you are close. Persistence is the best solution to getting to the outcome goal.

Looking back at my past experiences while being with this company for the last ten years, I would have to say that I am a change agent. I've learned throughout the years that change is necessary to keep up with changing times and changing environments. However, I have also learned that implementing change should be done carefully and not done more than necessary. Too much change can create confusion in the workplace which will translate into unhappy employees.

I am an agent of change. As the leader of the school I must always research situations, identify objectives that will help improve our company, build programs that help us achieve those objectivs and ebaluate the process. Once that's done I start the process over and do it again and again until I feel we are optimizing our efforts.

I am an agent of change too. I have a strong I.T. background. I am critically aware of how quickly technology changes. From strictly a technology view, if we don’t change, we get passed by the competition, in both lanes.

William

Change for the right reason is a value added proposition. It is important we keep an open mind to change proposals and ideas. We must not be a deterent to change but we should be responsible with our stakeholders and be a risk taker with confidence in our actions. Change is the formula for staying in front of the competition.

I consider myself a change agent. I interface with different departments within the school and give me best to coming up with effective strategies to improve our program. When I see a potential block or problem, I take the initiative to discuss it with my manager and offer solutions or other more viable options.

What are the qualifications to be a change agent?You had mentioned you are a change agent. What changes have you been specifically involved? How have your peers or supervisors attemped to block an initiative?

I do consider myself both a change agent and a change blocker depending on the situation at hand. I am a Change Agent when the proposal would benefit the team promoting success to achieve goals. However, if the change is made without thoroughly thinking and comparing pros and cons of the situation, then I would consider myself a change blocker.

Especially with regard to process changes. As a change agent you must first be able to recognize a block or problem. I have been part of a team that has seen process blocks in our online delivery of courses. I have brought these to the attention of the interested parties and changes have been implemented to increase efficiency. Changing the status quo is not easy. As you mentioned in earlier threads persistence is key.

Monica,
Your mention of team is essential to implementing the change necessary for resolutions. From a human behavior perspective it is not unusual to have blocks and mistrust for change. What kind of behaviors would be a give away for recognizing support or non-acceptance?

Renee,
Usually change proposals are for the improvement of a company in its process. It may be necessary to hold up the current plan but it is equally important to give direction with alternative solutions or re-engineering of the current plan. Adding knowledge to enlighten your team of the necessity or not to make changes is important to give ownership around the table.

Generally supportive team players want to grow the company and work toward a "best practices" mentality for the organization, this would include behavior such as open-mindedness and forward thinking.

Sign In to comment