Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Networking

How do I begin to network with others to build bsiness relationsips when it seem that everyone in the medical field are burnt out and no longer enjoying their career choices?

Definitely a challenge. I guess two ideas come to mind:
1) Should you reconsider your choice?
2) Where else can you look to find folks who are still passionate about their career?

Ryan

I would recommend reaching out to professional organizations that target a larger regional or national membership. It sounds as if you are in an environment that is not beneficial psychologically to your career growth and you would benefit from a larger pool of colleagues. This is much easier than it used to be, with things like e-mail list-servs, that can help you keep in touch with distant colleagues.

Suzanne,
I agree with your comments. The broader we can cast our net, generally the better off we will be.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think I would look at my area of interst and what I am passonate about and work outwards networking with people who like what I am passionate about and build from there. It is difficult to work with people who are burnt out and no longer enjoy their jobs. I say get away from these negative influences and do what you love or build it from there.

Patricia ,
yes, really explore what you love to do & why & this can be very informative for the future.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Hi Terrell,
I have found Linkedin to be an amazingly helpful resource to network, meet new professionals in my field and get energized by those not burnt out. I suggest you join some Linkedin Groups in the medical field and start discussions there.
~ Amy

It is best to find someone in the medical field that can help you gain and keep the movation in the field of your choice.

sheretta ,
yes, it is invaluable to connect with someone in our own professional field.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It helps when you start talking to others about how they got started in what they wanted to do in their field of choice. and then build on that topic.

sheretta ,
this is a great topic & a great way to glean valuable ideas.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I was that burnt out medical professional and cynical and all those things. I found a new lot and that has made me much happier. Reconnecting now with old coworkers is easier. Even consider going back to school connections they may mean even more.

Kim,
yes, we have to find those ways to recharge our batteries & renew our interest in the field we love so much.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

My advice would be to attend industry events. Place yourself somewhere where there will be plenty of people in your industry to network with. After your initial meet and greet, be sure to follow up and keep in contact. Start as a friend and offer to help them in some area.

I have recently discovered Linkedin. Yes, they have been out there for a while but I never had interest in it. This is a great way to put your skills out there and network with professionals in the field.

Yes, there are many people in the medical field that are burned out and no longer enjoy their careers but there are more out there whom still enjoy it. My personal opinion on those that don't enjoy the field any longer is to still network with them and try to figure out why they are so burned out. Maybe if we give our insights they might resort to searching for a new reason to enjoy their career.

Yes, Linkedin is great, I have also found success with FaceBook, it's amazing who your friends know! It is more social in nature, but I have made many invaluable contacts that I have stored in my back pocket.

Lisa ,
yes the networking aspect really is key to our finding success in career pursuits.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I find it ackward to try to reconnect with people I worked with long ago. I feel that they may feel like they are just being used because I haven't talked to them in years and now I want to contact them because I need a job referral. Yes, it would have been better to stay in loose contact with them over the years, but that is hard when work keeps everyone so busy and people come and go from jobs. The idea of trying to reach them on Facebook sounds good to me. It is personal but not intrusive. I think I will give that a try, since I am in need of references now in my current job search. Any advice on how to break the ice?

Sherry,
I think an outreach like that is a good idea & maybe even an apology for not staying in contact can help break the ice?

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Terrell, why not identify a few people with whom you work or know who would benefit from the information you've learned through this course, and then complete some of the steps with those individuals? Help them identify their interests, values and skills, and share with them your own. It can be very helpful to go through the growth/reinvention process with a support group, and as each of you examines what path might be necessary to be more fulfilled in your careers, you might help identify what networking opportunities each of you brings to the table from which you can benefit.

As others suggested, LinkedIn really is a great place to start reading up on trends in your field, as well as connecting to others who are in the same situation as you.

Finally, don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of thinking "everyone" is burnt out in the medical field. When we start using that kind of language, we have a tendency to feel defeated before we even begin. Start with the premise that many people love their careers, and then find those who still do.

Sign In to comment