Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Career change

After 17yrs with the same company , would it be wise to wait in this economy before making a career change.

Personally I would say yes. Now, if you have a great offer from another company & can move at a comparable rate, etc that's another issue. But if it's a question of quitting a job to search for another, I would say stay with where you are.
Ryan

I would stay with the same job and pursue what interests you in your spare time. I always have things of interest going on after work and on weekends that I enjoy and are lucritive.

Ted,
Great point & I agree. While our actual job may not be the most satisfying, at least it's a job right now. And yes, we should be looking for fulfillment in other areas of our lives.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think you should make a pro's and con's list. If you are the sole provider for your family, then it would be a con for you to take a career change risk. If you have two incomes coming in, and money saved up in the bank, then you are more in a position to take a chance.

Stephanie,
this is good advice. While the grass always looks greener, we do live in a real world that requires a real income to provide what we need.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I would agree- 17 years is along time. I would start to pursue something new on the side and make sure it's really what you want

No really.... You can seek other career opportunities within your organization. This is something I never considered until now.

I agree with you. however, you can explore career opportunities within your company without taking any risk,.

Yamil,
I agree that often the best opportunities are there in our current organization.

Dr. Ryan Meers

That would depend on the individual. If the person is happy where they are at, then there is no reason for the indiviudal to change regardless of the economy. IF there is a desire for change, anytime is a good time. The reason for this is you are just increasing the amount of dis-interest.

Ray,
I would agree and we need to make sure we are fulfilling all of our obligations such as work, financial, familial, etc.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Hi Mark,
I see that you first posted this discussion more than eight months ago. So, I would be curious to know what you decided to do and if the advice in this thread was helpful. To better understand your inquiry, I would want to know more about your situation to weigh potential risks and rewards of a career change. How disinterested are you with your current job? Does the thought of a career change distract you or interfere with your current job performance? Assuming your job is M-F, do you dread Monday mornings?
~Amy

Amy,
these are all great questions for all of us to consider & are great coaching questions that we can use with our employees.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Amy,
these are all great questions for all of us to consider & are great coaching questions that we can use with our employees.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree with you. I like the idea of exploring career opportunities within the company without taking risks. Especially if you are stable with your job for as long as you have worked there. I also think discussing your interest in more challenging work during your next performance review would be an opportunity to have your manager help you and make some suggestions and recommendations.

Cynthia,
yes, looking internally can assist with stability & also can provide great opportunities for growth & development.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

these are all good questions, but we would need so much more information. The original question concerned the economy. I would address that first is your place of employeement secure? How stable is the business? If it looks like they are going out of business then yes its a good time to make a career change. Are they doing draw downs? Then it appears you are relatively safe with 17yrs with that company but I don't know maybe you are on the chopping block next or maybe your department. Like I said at the beginning we would need much more information to make an assesment or recomendation. Good Luck and Best Wishes.

Craig,
true & these are good considerations to keep in mind.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment