Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ward,
this is such a true statement. Often people who are "drifting" are not in touch with these areas in themselves. The more self-aware we are the greater chance we have of setting good goals & managing our careers.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The first and most important step in personal career management is knowing yourself.Knowing yourself will give you direction in what areas you would be good at.

Knowing where you want to be in any distant future. Setting ones life's compass off by just a few degrees can get you to a destination one never anticipates.

It would seem that Career Management is like walking....crawling is a precursor to walking. Careers grow out of dreams, ideas, and the imagination of youth. Play and school come together to help solidify interests, build upon values, and provide direction. When studies are complete and school a thing of the past...at least for the time being...the first step towards career management is charting a course of action leading to employment in a field that satisfies interests, knowledge and skills, and ambitions in a challenging and rewarding way. The sage philosopher's advice "Know thyself" is critical as one begins this journey.

Dana,
yes, by knowing my own strengths, weaknesses, interests, etc I can better self-identify those careers or experiences that would most help me.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

CLAUDIU ,
yes, we need to take time to really begin with the end in mind.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

CLAUDIU ,
yes, we need to take time to really begin with the end in mind.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

My father always said that knowledge is power, and I believe that self-knowledge is the key to accessing that power. I loved how the presentation broke self-knowledge down to the components of interests, values, and skills. Knowing your interests - which are the most stable of your assets - is critical to cultivating a personally rewarding and fulfilling career path. Your values will change as you age and mature, and your skill sets will continually require updating and upgrading. Knowing your raison(s)d'etre are, I think, the most essential first steps.

Althea,
this is an excellent point. I encourage individuals to do an annual self-assessment on these items as we all do change over time & it's important to stay in tune with these things.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I would look back on the jobs I've previously held. What did I like/dislike about them? Why did I leave? Analyze that information, then look to the future and apply what you learned. Looking back helps you to "know yourself" and also to identify your skills and values.

Kathy,
this is great advice regarding thinking about those past jobs/roles & asking what was most liked about them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that you have to find something that you will enjoy doing first and foremost. With the recent economy and unemployment, I think a lot of people are just looking any type of employment. I understand that most of these people need to work, but maybe you get that job for financial reasons, but look within the company to see if there is a better fit for you. You will be less likely to be productive if you are at a job you do not enjoy.

Nikki,
yes, survival mode kicks in. But remember, taking that survival job can then be a great way to buy some time to really look for that job that you would love doing.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Nikki,
yes, survival mode kicks in. But remember, taking that survival job can then be a great way to buy some time to really look for that job that you would love doing.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Understanding what makes you excited about going to work everyday is essential so must be the first step you take. That means you have to identify what makes your pulse quicken when you imagine doing that kind of work and being able to see yourself doing it well in your mind's eye. If you can't identify what makes you happy, then you will never find it because you won't know where to look.

Lynne,
yes, we have to tap into our passions & this helps us know what we would best enjoy doing.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The first most important step in personal career management is knowing yourself, understanding who you are in your professional. This can conist of knowing your passion, talents, skills, and abilities. I believe there are opportunities that algin with your values, skills, talents, and passion. You will be a greater asset to the company and you will not feel you work. You will be a leader in your area.

Jaime,
yes, self-awareness is key to moving forward in our career & knowing what we would be best suited to do.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

the most important step is to realize you situations and goals and how to move ahead

Going after a career that will make you happy, if you dont love what you do then you will never be happy.

Sign In to comment