Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The most important first step is to identify what you find exciting and will engage you in your career. As my career transitioned from a technical/hands-on to a managerial/leadership role,I have found keeping a focus on exciting new paths to be rewarding. The biggest hurdle I had to overcome is getting out of my comfort zone and taking the next step.

This is great advice as we need to know what drives us & it may not be a step up but rather a step to the side.
Ryan

I think the first step is to decide what is your true interest in a career. Do not choose a career because of the money. In addition, prepare a second career just in case several years down the line you may want to change your career if one become burned out.

Ricky,
I agree. And I would also say that sometimes necessity dictates we have a career/job that isn't our first passion, but it pays the bills. In this case, we need to make sure we allow for fulfilling our passions. I know a man who's passion is art, but he's a graphic designer to pay the bills. He does keep up with his art work & thus fulfills his passion.

Dr. Ryan Meers

For the best results of manage your career is more intelligently and yield a lifetime of professional satisfaction, excitement, and fulfillment.

The greatest personal measure of career success is whether they've made a difference.

Migdalia,
Yes, I'm a firm believer in finding a career that brings this type of fulfillment to you on a daily basis.

Dr. Ryan Meers

For me, its knowing yourself. As others have stated, you know yourself best. When the opportunity came about for me to be in the position I am in now, I sat down and analyzed the pros and cons before making a final decision. At that time I felt that I had already accomplished what I had wanted to and was ready for a new challenge. I knew there would be many things that I would have to learn but I quickly started asking questions and found a mentor who was experienced in my position. I feel this really helped me succeed.

Stephanie,
I agree with you that we have to know ourselves. Once we know ourselves I think we can seek the opinions of others, but I think we have to know ourselves first as you said.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think the most important step in my career management has been finding a way to keep myself challenged in whatever position I am in. I find it difficult when I am no longer challenged and bcome bored and uninterested. It was interesting going through the topics and seeing that very description!

Kasey,
yes this is too often the case. I think this is why we see a greater number of those in the mid point of careers starting to look elsewhere, as they are becoming bored. It's important to continue to challenge ourselves & ask for those challenges.

Dr. Ryan Meers

In my personal opinion, the first step in your career development is knowing what makes you excited. You really don't want to do anything that you don't like regardless of how financially rewarding it is.

Hi, I completely agree with you. However, just because you are not in the right position doesn't necessarily mean that you are in the wrong company. It is possible to be in the wrong position in the right company. Therefore, it is best not to leave your company if you find yourself in the wrong position.

Hi, this is exactly what I state in my initial post. Knowing yourself is the most important first step. You need to know what makes you excited and not be bored doing something you hate.

Yamil,
this is definitely true. At the same time, there may be occasions where we have to work at a job we don't ultimately love to pay the bills; the whole time looking for that career that really excites us.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think the first most important step in career management is knowing your skill set. If a person kn ows thier skill set, they know what type of career path they can take. If they know how to read and write very well and enjoy being along, then a career as an editor may be good. If a person is athletic and has a natural skill for playing ball, then he/she should try out to be a ball player.

Kimbely,
this is so true. It is key that we know our own sets of strengths, development areas, interests, etc.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I love my job and what I do each day but feel that I have reach a "glass ceiling" and due to the small company size I am unable to move up the ladder. With that being said I am sometimes worried about moving to a higher position as I am afraid it won't turn out to be as satisfying as the role I am currently in? Any ideas?

I thought I had figured out what I wanted to do and what I am doing is great and I love it but I want change. Maybe a different field or different company???? Are there any good career testing sites to use to help see a more clearer path to moving forward?

I agree that your career should yield you a lifetime of professional satisfaction, excitement and fulfillment but would bet that not many people have found this place in their life.

Sign In to comment