Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree that as an Instructor, we are able to encourage, coach and teach new skills that assist our students in their journey to new success. I enjoy that aspect very much and along the way I make sure to take the time to encourage them to make use of continueing education courses and to explore further education that will assist them in advancing. I also often converse with my fellow instructors regarding the same subject and encourage them to pursue advancement within the company which stretches their skill set and enchances their job satisfaction.

Travis,
yes, one of the greatest services we can provide to our students is to help them along their career paths.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have assisted many students with issues regarding which career path they would choose in their culinary career and have introduced them to chefs I know to help them succeed.

Janet,
the networking aspect is key in helping our students & others to be successful.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Many of my students think that what they are here for is one career, and one career only. Example: Medical Assistant students. I always tell them that this is the first step to one of the many great things in their life. If they work hard and have the passion to pursue more in life, then the sky is the limit for them. They can go anywhere they want from here.

Margarita,
this is a great thing to keep in front of our students. My own career has taken several twists & turns that I would never have expected.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As the director of a vocational nurse program I have clinical and theory instructors. In my one-on-one meetings I ask my faculty what they see themselves doing in 5 years. When a clinical instructor voiced interest in becoming a theory instructor I arranged for her to sit in on theory classes and partner with the theory instructor to give a lecture. This way she was able to get an idea of what was involved in preparing and delivering a lecture. When the next theory position became available she transfer into the position and became one of my star theory instructors.

Pamela,
this is an excellent approach to coaching & to the professional development of your employees. You not only heard what she wanted to do, but you helped position her to be successful.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

My supervisor is just excellent. He helps students manage their careers all of the time. For example, a student is interested in working in a very specific area. My supervisor gave him a very realistic outline of the rewards and the downfalls. The student chose to follow that path. About a year later he stopped by, and was just so excited to tell us about what a great experience it has been for him. Nice to see.

Heidi,
this is a great story & demonstrates that willingness by a supervisor to work with & coach others.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Everyday as a chef instructor, I love sitting down with a person looking to get in to the field that I love and have had a fantasize time. With being in my job for ten years now I have students that have become chefs in there own right and are hiring my current students.

Jeremy,
this is great to be able to see the long-term impact of your work & dedication.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Throughout my military career leadership and development was a priority. In this time I would have one on one meeting with each of the Airmen that I supervised. We developed plans for each of them that met the Air Force needs as well as their own. In one case one of the Airmen wanted to change “career fields” based on their desire. The “career field” was in high demand, so we discussed in depth for months why the change, when this person was sure it was the right choice for them I assisted in helping put all the paperwork together and ensuring that the Airmen would be able to transfer. During the months of review I gathered information on the other “career field” and provided information to the Airmen as well as helped them understand any transferrable skills they currently had. The Airmen made a successful transition and was a benefit to the Air Force by filling a need.

Patricia,
this is a great example of how using coaching skills we can help those we lead to find the best career fit for them & often it's a win for the organization as well.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I'd like to think I made an impact with a colleague who is very bright, organized and take-charge. I encouraged her by identifying those strengths I saw in her and pointed out advanced positions I thought she would be excellent for in the future. When she would balk at the suggestions, I would reiterate to her that I could easily see her grow into higher administrative roles with her skill set.

She's now my boss. :)

Matthew,
this is a great testimony to the power of encouragement & of developing those around us.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I was hired recently to close out a Medical and Billing Program at a career school which will be formally ending their program at the end of October. What a rewarding experience! I saw two of our students through to the end of their externships. One student had interpersonal conflicts with their placement. I counseled that student and she decided to stick it out for another five weeks. What great life lessons she will be learning from this experience. I hope to use my over 30 years experience in the health care field to be able to mentor and guide our next generation.

Karla,
it really is so rewarding to be able guide & mentor others, whether students or employees.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Working in career services at a culinary school, I work with students daily to figure out which part of the industry is the best fit for them. I constantly network with restaurants, management companies and other branches of the industry to keep up to date with the trends. I pass on what I have learned and help give the students the pros and cons of different segments within the industry. Many times grads that I have worked with come back and tell me how much they appreciated the knowledge I shared and expressed how helpful it was for them to make the right choice and to have grown within their field. It's very rewarding!

Marsha,
I really like the idea of helping them understand the pros/cons. Sometimes students only see the rosy aspects, but helping them get a realistic view so they can find the right fit career is key.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment