Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Procrastination

One of my biggest time wasters is Procrastination. If I have something I don't want to do, I'll have the cleanest office around.

The suggestion of setting an deadline that is difficult to move really helps.

I will schedule a meeting where I know the work has to be complete before the meeting can be held.

David,

I have the same issue, though my office does not seem to get cleaner. I tend to go find folks to talk to.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Even with the onset of so many applications to assist in time management, I have not been able to find a best practice for working from home.

I have a balance of 3 days at home, 2 in the office and I tend to be much more productive at the office. I have no personal distractions, i.e. people, children, pets, etc. at home, but the comforts of being "at home" tend to outweigh those of needing to get a task complete.

Any suggestions?

Mark,

I have read that sometimes dressing up for work even when working at home helps. Others make appointments with themselves or go to a coffee shop to change scenery. Personally, I tend to do best at home when I am working on special projects rather than just usual day-to-day activities.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I do the same thing, it is our comfort zone. I get comfort from being organized and having an organized office. Whatever it is,that I don't want to do, I go to my comfort zone instead. This approach is my safe way of ensuring I will tackle that task I don't want to do. Sometimes, I also ask others to hold me accountable for something in a meeting and I know I have to complete that action item on time. Another thing I do is do all my "least favorite" tasks first and then I have the remainder of the day to do the things I enjoy most, think that is from the 7 habits book.

Same issue here as well. I tend to procrastinate on tasks then realize they are due so that sort of motivates me to get them done

Jonathan,

What are some of the most common things for which you procrastinate?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment