Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Professional and Instructional development

When an employee (instructor) is pursuing formal training, the greatest benefit to you (employer) is if that training is directly related to the field in which they teach. If an instructor can advance professionally, then that gained knowledge or skill can be translated into experience or shared as information passed on to the students. Everyone benefits, not just that individual employee.

I agree. The more comfortable and trained an instructor is, he/she has the advantage to work with the students in an online class vs. an instructor who is treading water in unchartered territory (online).

Instructors training should be in a related field. Training outside of the subjects that he/she teaches will not directly benefit students. However, if the instructor continues training in the field he/she teaches, then new information can be gained and passed on to the students. Consequently, if the students are getting a better education, my company benefits from increased student satisfaction. If students benefit from this extensive education, they will be more successful in the workforce. This, in turn, increases placement rates for our students. As the employer this provides us with increased student enrollment and higher profitability.

Continuing training in your field is essential to bringing a new perspective to your students. That helps with instructor burn-out as well as enhancing the student's learning environment.

In essence, I agree with the concept of formal training and continuing education, but considering the mean realities of the current workplace and budgeting constraints, it can be difficult to allow employees to attend these type of events.

Everywhere organizations are being squeezed down to the last penny and the field of education is no different than the marketplace! Many times we are only allowed the barest of essentials that are deemed critical to upper-level management and the bottom- line-up-front (BLUF) is money.

I agree.

I agree that continuing education is an important part of being a successful instructor. An instructor that continues to improve himself by taking instructor development courses will be better at teaching.

Hi Catherine! Thanks for your thoughts! You're right, even after 30 years myself in adult education, I learn something new from interactions with, and the best practices of, my colleagues.

Jay Hollowell
MaxKnowledge and the Center for Excellence in Education

This is true. The knowledge earned should be shared by all and beneficial for all.

I concur. Participating in continuing education courses broadens the instructors knowledge then in turn he or she can better educate their students.

So true, Lindsey! An instructor can't EVER stop learning. This will only enhance their performance in the classrooom, enhance student learning, and improve the overall effectiveness of the school, which in turn "... provides us with increased student enrollment and higher profitability."

Yes, PD is a broadening experience and enables the students to see the BEST Practices put into educationals outcomes for them.

Sign In to comment