Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Listen with intent to understand, not reply

I find that, as I'm working, I tend to listen to reply rather than listen to understand.  I don't think I do that as much when I'm not working.  How can I better listen to understand in my work?

I do, too, Patrick! This is probably my number 1 goal. How do you plan on changing this/

I think that when a student shares an obstacle or concern that we so quickly want to address that and win them over to CCU to ultimately get them enrolled. So, it is natural for us to think about how we will respond to that objection. However, I think it's more important for us to hear them out and make sure they feel heard and understood.

I agree, Lacey. I find that I am trying to stop pauses and silences and in doing so I miss opportunities. Stop, listen, pause, respond!

I tend to struggle with listening to understan as well.  Like others have said, I tend to want to problem solve and move one before really understanding the issue at hand.  I need to practice some of the skills throughout this module to better understand my student's needs before I just quickly try to solve their problem and move on. 

I totally agree- i want to really seem like the expert on the matter and so as soon as I hear something the student is concerned with or just wondering about, I automatically half listen to the rest of their statement and half think about how to make everything "good".....

This seems like a very common problem. I find myself doing the samething. I am still looking for the best way to be focused.

@dbriscoeedy

I also get distracted by pauses - I think because they feel awkward.  And focusing isn't the thing I do best.

But one habit I don't have is "listening to reply."  I think I'm more aware of it b/c I've been on the receiving end (haven't we all?!) and you can just see the person formulating his reply without hearing the gist of what you're saying.  It's a good thing to avoid, since it can be obvious to the person trying to communicate something, and actually derails the whole communication process.

I agree as I was reading your response I found myself thinking of my response before finishing reading yours. I really try hard to make sure what I say is well thought out even when it stops my cognition of someone speaking to me. I must try to correct my listening process.

This is a problem I face because I want to help or give advice immediately.  Learning to listen completely is a goal for me.

Reply to Samantha Begines's post:Agreed, I do not intend to interupt or take over a conversation.  I need to slow down and listen, and allow others to share their feedback. 

What I have learned is that I need to calm down and not try to move to the next topic in the funnel unless we (me and the communicator) have a mutual understanding of the topic we are discussing.

Sign In to comment