Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Difficult conversation

How does a manager turn a difficult conversation to a positive feedback session? Is it possible?

I think it takes a delicate hand, and an ability to make the other person feel valued in spite of the difficult feedback they may be receiving. It is not an easy task, but once the feedback is given, and ways to improve are discussed (both sides have to contribute) then a positive feeling can return. I believe it is important to end every feedback session on a positive note. Otherwise, real positive change will not happen.

I agree adding positive feedback with correcting negative behavior will enhance the session with employee or student.

I do think it is possible, granted the person objectively views the feedback session not as a character assassination. I believe the manager should begin with those things that are being done efficiently. Afterwards, the manager can begin to share the behavior that needs change or is negatively impacting performance. Depending on the type of person (relater, thinker, etc) the manager can solicit feedback, etc..

Tu,

I would start with something positive, then move to the challenge or area of improvement. A positive feedback session also concentrates more on what has been observed, as opposed to feelings, with plenty of opportunity for the recipient to provide his or her perception or point of view.

Jay Hollowell

Sheneka,

Thanks Sheneka, you are so right, it's all about the approach!

Jay Hollowell

Focus on providing positive feedback to staff.

Sign In to comment